Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acoustic Mat install

Default Acoustic Mat install

I ran into a situation installing my acoustic mat system.

The mat system says not to cut access points in the seat box cover for best acoustic properties..
    That’s all fine and dandy, but how do I remount the seats? Mine were held in place with nut and bolt fasteners..

Any suggestions?
    1971 SIIa 88" NAS Dauntles V6
    1974 SIII 109" RHD

They are merely suggesting that you don't cut the mat. They are not telling you not to. You certainly need to cut the section above the storage/battery box because there is no way into it. The T-case access panel and gas access panel are your choice to cut or not cut. I cut out the T-case access panel because I have the underseat tool tray. As for the gas access panel I cut three sides so that I could flip it back if needed.

I removed my seats and the seat box itself. I flipped the seat box over with onto the mat and drilled the seat bracket holes and transmission brake. Then flipped back over and installed the seat rails and brake. Then (with help from a friend) lifted it back into the truck and reinstalled the seatbox.

Final thoughts on the mat: Its heavy as a mug, expensive, doesn't cut down mass amounts of noise, however, there is some improvement...BUT...and its a big BUT...the temperature difference in the cab is wonderful! I would say that it cuts the heat down 90+%!

I also had to trim a small piece of the mat to get it around my gas pedal.

Birmabright Brotherhood

Take the vow, join the brotherhood!

Clint Rankin - 1972 SIII SWB

They're talking about the 3 access panels, not little holes for seat base bolts.

Thanks..
    I was thinking I would have to so some round about thinking here...

I wanted to cut it as little as possible to retain the acoustic property..
    I bought the mat primarily for the heat and aesthetic function of it.. Not going to lie.. hope it cuts down on some of the twanging and noise..

Not all of it though... or I would drive my Wife’s truck..
    1974 SIII 109" RHD

I recently covered our 109 seat box with sound deadening material (1/4" closed cell foam laminated on limp mass vinyl). In order to access the bolt holes for the seat frames and other parts, I took a length of thin metal tubing from a damaged landscape light, sharpened the edges of one end then used it to cut holes through the material. I first marked the hole locations by poking an awl through the material from the other side and then centered my makeshift tool over the awl hole. Worked fine.

A great material for the bed of the truck is "stall mat" that you can get at most farm / ranch supply places. It's made to have horses standing and doing other horse like things on it, so it's tough, thick, and fairly cheap. Does a great job of deadening sound as well.

http://www.flexmats.com/HeavyDutyStallMats.htm

I second Gambrinus' recommendation of stall mats. I bought two 4' x 6' sheets of 1/2" matting a couple of years ago and made mats for the front footwells, middle floor, rear tub, tool boxes and tuffy box. Those will all go back in on top of the sound deadening material I described above.

i sat and stared at the seat box last night and came up with a solution...

I installed some Jack Nuts (simialr to rivnuts) in the seat mount locations to treat them as blind holes.. Once the mat is in place with the seat brackets mounted I can see how much matirial I really need to cut for the box lids. I may not cut them at first and see how it performs.. With the Jack nuts it wont be a PITA to remove the seats/brackets..
    1974 SIII 109" RHD

WOW... what a difference..
    WAY better than I expected!!!!

took my time and a really nice and clean install..

I will take pictures tomorrow, left my camera at the office..

Heat and sound WAY down... my dog was cool riding in the front.. and in a RHD truck i got more stares than normal
    1974 SIII 109" RHD

Some pictures of the Mat install and radio...

Stereo, acoustic mat, door panels...
    it’s a bit more comfortable and my wife doesn’t mind riding around in it now...

The Mat not only cuts down on the heat.. but dulls out the noise BIG TIME.. can actually hear the stereo and have a conversation going 60 on the HWY..

1974 SIII 109" RHD