Thread: 2004 Discovery

Default 2004 Discovery

I am very troubled. Has anyone already experienced problems with Power steering box and Power steering pump (very expensive items)? After a trip to the dealer to replace a failed used alternator they installed on my truck without my consent, the technician wrote on the invoice as comments that "Power steering box and Power steering pump are seeping". I have to note that the same technician earlier told me these components were fine and working as designed. I have been personaly visually inspecting the car. It was completely dry prior to going to the dealer. As a strange coincidence, fluids began recently to puddle underneath the truck.

Could you please give me your technical, mechanical and honest opinion; what are your takes?

Exclamation

If the steering box is seeping, as mine is on my '99 DII, all you have to do is get underneath the Disco, look at the steering arm on the drivers side of the Disco next to the front wheel, and if it is damp the tech is right. That being said, it does not puddle, but just makes the joint damp to the touch. That could be why the floor was dry.
    If you really have a puddle, that is a different story and the whole thing is close to failure. I would also check the p/s lines and p/s fluid level. These things don't just stop working, its a prolonged issue that gets progessively to the point of repair.
    Then again, this dealer did install equipment that you did not authorize and the equipment failed. I would find an independent LR mechanic that has experience with these vehicles and avoid the dealer at all costs. Literally.

Default 2004 Discovery

Thank you for your quick comments. The truck has PS fluid in it. "... It was completely dry prior to going to the dealer. As a strange coincidence, fluids began recently to puddle underneath the truck". I mispoke when I said fluids began to puddle. I should have said "pour or flow". Because this area has been and was completely dry before.

If the fluids are flowing or puddling, and it was dry before, you have got to get underneath and look, no question. I still recommend asking RN for a mechanic referral in your area. Just my gut reaction to the situation.