Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: no power on hills

Quote Originally Posted by BGGB View Post
    i have it set and running good at idel.....as i understand it if its good at idel it shouild be good throughout the rpms...as long as teh advance works correctly.
    Remember that setting the timing by ear also includes running the vehicle under loaded conditions to see if you get any knocking (pre-ignition). I have always found that the ignition needs to be slightly retarded from where is idles smoothest in order to avoid knocking under heavy load (like pulling a hill in 4th).

also...remember that if you can hear the knocking or pinging then the real damage has already begun. Modern EFI and igntion systems are very good at adjusting the timing to optimize power, performance, and efficiency and avoiding knock. Even the older systems use knock sensors that feel for a given vibration in the block and react. So if you can hear the actual pinging or knocking then it is way beyond the danger range.

Having said that, the stock rover engines are running 7:1 or 8:1 compression. Its hard to believe that one of these engines could develop a bad enough knock or pinging condition to cause significant engine damage...at least over a short period of time.

There are many things that can go wrong or be out of adjustment. Start someplace with one thing that you are 100% is correct and then trouble shoot from there. That's my only bias for taking the time to get your timing 100% dead nuts correct.

RW

Any chance that your mechanical advance in the distributor is stuck or binding at all?

Mine was stuck and I could drive all day long at 60 on the flats but knocked when going up hill.
    1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
    1965 109 SW - nearly running well
    1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
    1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2

Cool Another Suggestion

Another power robbing scenario (to consider)

Do a compression and leak-down test.

I had a burnt exh valve in my 109 and lost lots of power
    (especially going up hills)

I replaced my cyl head with an 8:1 comp. & hardened valves & seats
    for burning unleaded. And, was pleasantly surprised at my big
    increase in power.

Just my $.02

Peace,
    Art

I had the same problem, but I used Scott's beer, dizzy, timing method and substituted a large cup of tea so I could see the vibrations better and it made a World of difference!! In addition, adding Sea Foam to the tank and engine really aided the process..yes it will look like a flea duster for a while but it works