Thread: damn the cats!

Default damn the cats!

I have started hearing that familiar cat rattle combined o2 sensor faults with 44 and 45 codes (OBD I on a '95) I am at a point where I must replace my cats. The resonator in the tail muffler is rattling a bit too. Since I live in a state with no emissions testing I'm thinking about losing the cats completely and having a custom exhaust fab'd. Stock manifold into straight flow downpipe into tail muffler.

Has anyone done this and if so, what effects have you found?
    -Cosmo-
    '66 IIA 88" - Stock-ish Trail Rider

'95 Disco R380 5 spd DD
    ARB winch bull bar
    Warn 8k
    Gulf States Grill
    OME HD 2" lift
    home made limb risers
    LR rack with too many Hellas
    on-and-on-and....

if ya canc the o2 sensor won't ya have to arrange for some amps to travel up the o2 sensor wire to the cpu? after that i think you should be able to just straight pipe it
    '64 Series IIA 88 Canvas Tilt
    '68 Series IIA RHD Ambulance
    '76 Spitfire 1500
    '07 LR3 (Series Recovery Vehicle)

Don't bin the bit of the exhaust the O2 sensor screws into. It's a strange thread (well..it is over here). Whoever builds your exhaust can weld it into the new pipe so you can screw your sensor back in.

Other than that, you won't have any other problems. The car should actually give a bit more poke with the cat removed and a free-flow system. Plus it will sound muuuch better.