Thread: '90 RRC Starter Problem

Default '90 RRC Starter Problem

3 days ago, the starter motor on my 1990 RRC failed to turn when I tried to start it. The battery was charged and all the other electrical was working. The binnacle lights all activated. I didn't hear a report from the solenoid. Stranded, I gave the year-old battery -to -starter cable gentle jiggle: nothing. I jiggled away at the column shroud & column lock, activated the various shroud components (turn signals, head lights, etc) while turning the key to start, and it finally started when I activated the flasher unit. Coincidence?

I started it 15 more times after that, no problem.

Last night I had the same problem and couldn't jiggle or activate my way into another start. I had it towed home and of course it started first try this morning.

I'm going out to check grounds now, and thought i'd ask the forum for advice. Something's in its death throws: please help me with the trouble shooting order of the switch / relay /motor, or alternatives.

Also, as a means of testing the switch, Joshua posted a method of bypassing the switch by connecting the positive post on the starter to the "bendix connection." Is this valid and if so, where is the bendix connection? Many thanks -- Tim

I still haven't tracked this problem down. It's been starting fine, 20-30 times in a row, then I have this problem. I've tried going into Nuetral for the start, and moving the shifter through it's range in case it's the interlock switch. Nothing.

-- Tim
    1990 RRC

Hello there,

Check the brown/red wire going to the solenoid.
    My 92 had the same problem, all the wires looked good, but after checking further, the connection link lead from the main harness to the solenoid was terribly corroded on the inside.
    A new buullet end, piece of 12 guage wire and a ring terminal on the solenoid end and the problem is now cured, plus some liberal amounts of anti-corrosion paste on the terminals.

Quote Originally Posted by Les Parker View Post
    Hello there,

Check the brown/red wire going to the solenoid.
    My 92 had the same problem, all the wires looked good, but after checking further, the connection link lead from the main harness to the solenoid was terribly corroded on the inside.
    A new buullet end, piece of 12 guage wire and a ring terminal on the solenoid end and the problem is now cured, plus some liberal amounts of anti-corrosion paste on the terminals.

Hello LeadOff,

The solenoid and the bendix are the same thing. What I suggested was by-passing the ignition switch to test the starter.

I also agree with Les... I've had the same no start issues and resecured the leads to the starter on a RRC.

Additionally, I've had a similar issue with a '97 D1. I solved the D1's problem by running a dedicated ground to the starter from the battery using 00 welding cable with soldered copper ring terminals. Never had another ground issue with the D1.

Good Luck,
    1990 RRC, 3.9L, AUTO "Willow Pond" (Sold)
    1996 D1, 4.0L, AUTO "Lucas"
    1999 RR, 4.0L, AUTO "Belle" (Sold)