Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nitrous

Default Nitrous

It seems like everyone has tried just about everything here. Has anyone done a mild nitrous system? Just enough to get you over that big ledge?

Yes, Nitrous comes in handy when you need that extra boost to get you up and over when rock crawling. As a matter of fact, I find that when in low range and using nitrous, my 40:1 ratio actually allows me to go 45mph! The engine does seem to get a little hot though, while continuously running above 6500rpm; but this is no serious problem as my 2.25 has been balanced and blueprinted.
    61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
    66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
    66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
    67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
    88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

Could nitrus be a solution for those long vermont hills? Or is it for no more than 10 second bursts. I've seen setups where the nitrus is triggered only when floored, this might not be a good idea as I consistantly floor my 88". The engine is in good shape, i just drive fast.

If you need more gusto, consider a motor swap.

It might be better to think about your 2.25l as a nice tractor engine and your LR when so equipped as a REALLLY FAST 8n tractor.

They weren't geared or engineered with the thought of going very fast or traveling the US interstates. To do so you need to re-engineer a lot, a shot of nitrous isn't really going to accomplish that for you. Get a NP435 and 302 and a Sals rear axle if you want more power.
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

Before altering your Series to boogie any faster than Solihull had in mind, please consider the condition of your brakes.

Mike Koch
    Mike Koch

1993 Range Rover SWB
    "Backup car? Why would I need a backup car? My car backs up just fine."

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Koch
    Before altering your Series to boogie any faster than Solihull had in mind, please consider the condition of your brakes.

Mike Koch
    That's what the car in front of you is there for, of course it is considerate to honk first...
    61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
    66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
    66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
    67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
    88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

Default Not faster....

This has nothing to do with speed. It has to do with momentary HP. Our fully loaded ambulance/camper is fine on teh road, we just take our time, and fine 99% of the time off-road, but every so often there is a situation off-road that coudl use a bit more guts. Seems a tiny shot of nitrous might be easier than lower gears, bigger engines...and all that. I really am talking about probably a second or two of boost.

I've tried nitrous....once....
    Jason T.

Jim,

What other mods have you done to your engine so far? Nitrous would be the last thing I'd try, I think I'd even consider a turbo before Nitrous.
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums