Hey Guys
I've been told that that a lot of people spend the rest of their lives looking for their true auto love...
I think I've found a chance to reunite with mine and could use some advice

I've found a local listing that feels perfect. 1974 Series III, RHD in (reported) good mechanical condition. I would love some advice for what I should look at when I go test drive it this weekend.

I first found roversnorth (And joined the old forums) in 1996 before my first disco (94 SE ). I was in HS/college in those days and didn't have a budget for any modifications. But I did attend rallies and took that truck through some pretty extreme situations. My friends called it the "worst lemon ever" - to me, it was true love.

I'm driving a sedan these days but have always said that my dream would be to find an "old school rover" that I could use as a 4x4 and Sunday drive. Discos seem to hold an obscene value which put them out of a 3rd card price range, and most series vehicles I saw were someone's over priced problem. I drive a AWD car today and cannot imagine being without it during the occasional snow in Virginia or even on the bad roads we take to fly fish & ski. So to complete the dream - what I really want is an old rover that is as utilitarian as it is fun. I wanted to find something that was reliable enough to really use as a truck on weekends, in snow, etc but could also be a project and get me back into the the Rover world.

I've been catching up on old times and have particularly enjoyed this thread on advice for a IIa
http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6342
I've also enjoyed the Rover **** here
http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/sh...?t=4702&page=2

Here are the specs for the 1974 III I'm considering
  • original 2.6l diesel
  • good paint (not sure if its original)
  • mild rust under the driver's door - none under passengers
  • no frame or body rust
  • hard top/ roof rack/ brush guard
  • RDH - (not a problem for me, in fact a plus)
  • stuck odometer on 99K miles (seller estimates that is close)
  • Seller states that there is an electrical problem that requires jumping the starting solenoid, but starts right up
They are asking $6,400

First question - is that reasonable? It seems low to me based on what I have seen. Then again, this truck is mostly original and has been used

#2 - what should I look for when I test drive?
I have the general working knowledge of engines that comes with being male, but otherwise have never done any mechanical work. I want something to learn on, but not from scratch. For instance, I think I can change that solenoid, but I intend to use this thing most weekends, so I'm not looking for a major mechanical project.

#3 - did the IIIs have locking center diffs? Sounds silly but I cannot find anything online about the transfer case on these guys

Long winded, I know but I'd love to know what this group of experts thinks about taking this truck on as a novice project?

Thanks!
-N