Hello All,
I just bought my first Land Rover. It is a 1962 Series with a 289 2 barrel engine conversion. After reading many posts on this forum, I am curious how concerned I need to be about breaking the transmission and rear axle. Will normal street driving (unagressive, but keep up with traffic) destroy stock parts? No offroading for me. I live in West Texas and it is flat here if that makes a difference. The previous owner said all of the work for the conversion was done before he purchased the vehicle. I know the transmission is stock. I am uncertain if the rear has been upgraded. Is there a way to tell visually? I will be running a 265/75/16 tire.
If this is a disaster waiting to happen, will salisbury rear axles handle a ford 289 under normal driving conditions? Would a range rover transmission be an upgrade that would handle the power? I would like to do some highway driving. Would it bolt to my Ford to Series transmission adapter? Sorry for all of the newbie questions. Thanks in advance for information.
Scott