X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MechRookie
    Low Range
    • May 2020

Brake/Clutch Fluid

Due to work/moving, my 1980 88SW has been horribly neglected (not driven in about 3 years), but I’m going to bring her (and her 67 109SW sibling) back to life this summer.

I know the clutch pedal goes all the way to the floor in the 88, so I suspect it has dumped all its fluid. I would guess the brakes need a top up as well, given the fluid in the wheels.

I can’t seem to find Castrol Dot3/4 anywhere, and I saw in another forum that they don’t make it anymore. Is any Dot 3/4 brake fluid a suitable alternate? As my username implies, I’m a complete novice, but trying to learn.

In general, is it best to drain and replace all fluids that haven’t already leaked out after such a long period of sitting unused?

Thanks in advance.

Nick
  • jimrr
    4th Gear
    • Dec 2010

I flushed my s3 brake system once with rubbing alchohol, i don't know if it helped but after that the fluid was clean.
    I see "dot 3 synthetic" dot 5 synthetic, and no doubt 4 is out there as well. I've been using synthetic, previously known as "dot 5" for a few years, it absorbs little if any moisture. I don't know what to make of "dot 3 synthetic" as I figured dot 5 was the final story but I suspect the other dots are a sales ploy now. For all I know dot 4 may be benificial to the ''native rubber'' used in landrovers but now I suspect that old rubber (undoubtably more expensive) may not even be used anymore?
    we need a chemist on here!

Comment

• TedW
      5th Gear
      • Feb 2007

Our hosts have the fluid you are asking about.

Comment

• MechRookie
        Low Range
        • May 2020

Thanks, I hadn’t noticed they sold fluids. Ordered, now the easy part is done. In to bleeding (and hoping that is the solution)!

Comment

Working...