The plot tickens (series III backfire/idle, brakes)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NickDawson
    5th Gear
    • Apr 2009

This time Nium was right on the money - it *was* the points!
    $200 later I have a running truck with brakes that stop a lot better. I have not gotten the full post mortem but they said something about the wiring for the points being defective - they were not burned up. The only thing I can imagine was the the low tension lead. It came with a honking plug on the end that would not fit through the hole in the dizzy. I cut it and re-crimped a new plug. Wondering if that crimp failed. Although I did check that the low tension lead was attached before towing it...

I'm kicking myself because I really think I could have tackled both over the weekend.... but $200 isn't the end of the world and I'm glad to have someone else bloody their knuckles with the rusty brake adjusters.

They also quoted me $900 for a new exhaust manifold from the UK. I told them about a little company I know in Vermont, just for future reference. (I'm still passing on the exhaust leak, I'll order the $250 manifold from RN this winter).

Comment

• kevkon
      3rd Gear
      • Aug 2009

Good news Nick!
      I'd be inersted to hear what exactly was wrong in the "wiring". I just put in a new set of points and just happened to find that the factory crimp was no good. Took them out and soldered the connections.
      94 D-90 tdi
      72 Series III

Comment

• Jim-ME
        Overdrive
        • Oct 2006

Glad to hear that the Rover is back on the road. Look at http://www.lrseries.com/shop/categor...er-Series.html to see if you can get an exhaust manifold for less than you have been quoted. My 2.5 diesel manifold was $150.00 with expedited shipping.
        Jim

Comment

• Nium
          4th Gear
          • Aug 2009

Glad to see you are up and running again.

A little FYI if you had bought low tension lead RN# RNC604 Land Rover Part # 54413549 and it looked like the picture attached below. That's the wrong low tension lead for your distributor. That lead is for the Lucas 25D4 you've got a Lucas 45D4 where the low tension lead is incorporated to the wire for the condensor. Review Rover's North description of points part # RNF232 though I think you have the blue version of points fit to your dizzy part # RNE637. Hence why when you ordered a low tension lead it wouldn't fit and you had to cut the plastic block off that mates to the distributor body of the Lucas 25D4.
          Walker
          1968 Series IIA-"Ronnie"
          88" SW, 2.25L Petrol, LHD

Comment

• amcordo
            5th Gear
            • Jun 2009

11 pages in...

So Nick. Tell us how you feel about Land Rover.

Comment

• bmohan55
              4th Gear
              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by amcordo
              11 pages in...

So Nick. Tell us how you feel about Land Rover.
              LOL, that was mean!

Probably feels the same as we all have (and will again) at one time or another.
              04 Disco, Gone-Disco died & so did mine
              '72 S3 88 - Leakey & Squeaky

Comment

• amcordo
                5th Gear
                • Jun 2009

Haha, it wasn't intended to be mean! You know - misery loves company as I look at my current crap list:
                need to re-route exhaust
                need to rewire cooling fan
                need to overhaul brakes
                need to pull trans to replace third gear and overhaul
                need to paint
                need to reupholster roof
                need to replace window frames
                need to replace shocks
                need to re-wire vehicle with modern electric safety standards
                I don't have the paper list on me, but I know there's a lot more...

God I love to hate this tractor.

Originally posted by bmohan55
                LOL, that was mean!

Probably feels the same as we all have (and will again) at one time or another.

Comment

• NickDawson
                  5th Gear
                  • Apr 2009

Its funny, someone at work today asked me "why are you doing this? Why did you get into it in the first place and why don't you sell it and cut your losses?"

My response "you'll never get it"

After getting really frustrated (the genesis of this thread), I took a step back, reminded myself of the point of own a rover and just let it roll off my back. Even last night after paying the guy $200, as soon as I'm behind the wheel I have a mild wide grin like a little kid that makes it all worth it.

Nium - regarding the lead, I do have the lead that is integrated with the condenser. The crimped end still did not fit through the hole in the dizzy.

I'm planning on getting under the hood tonight to try and determine what they did - still can't get a clear answer out of them... mechanics, almost worse than doctors

Comment

• Nium
                    4th Gear
                    • Aug 2009

Originally posted by NickDawson
                    Nium - regarding the lead, I do have the lead that is integrated with the condenser. The crimped end still did not fit through the hole in the dizzy.
                    Oops, sorry I misunderstood what you had meant when you wrote that you had to cut the crimped end. My bad.
                    Walker
                    1968 Series IIA-"Ronnie"
                    88" SW, 2.25L Petrol, LHD

Comment

• NickDawson
                      5th Gear
                      • Apr 2009

Originally posted by Nium
                      Oops, sorry I misunderstood what you had meant when you wrote that you had to cut the crimped end. My bad.
                      Think we *are* saying the same thing. The crimped end was too large to fit through the dizzy. I had to cut it, pass it through and crimp a new end on before attaching to the coil. (the other end was pre-attached to the condenser)

Comment

Working...