• Show
Clear All
  • SafeAirOne
    Overdrive
    • Apr 2008

Originally posted by msggunny
    Is that a plywood hard top??

Awesome...
    Funny you should mention...It IS a home made fiberglass and wood hard top that is rotting away. In fact, it is the ONLY item that's really desirable on the whole rover. The junk yard owner wanted something like $300 for the hard top, and could only be talked down to $200, if I recall correctly.

Not obvious in the first photo is the framework that this homemade roof is built on. It's what makes this junk roof the most desirable part on the whole mess:

--Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Comment

• LaneRover
      Overdrive
      • Oct 2006

Great! Now I have to keep an eye on this to make sure if anyone takes pics of my property in Maine, they know stuff ain't fo sale!

. . . unless the price is REALLY right.
      1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
      1965 109 SW - nearly running well
      1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
      1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2

Comment

• jp-
        5th Gear
        • Oct 2006

Just scanned, for your viewing pleasure. Another beautiful early Wagon. This one located in Ellisville, MS. Photos taken sometime around 2005 (man I've got to start labeling my photos...). Rover was moved a few months after photos were taken. New location unknown. Note the two intact rear sparto lights, the turn style vent knobs, and the rare accessory plug still plugged into the dash outlet. I wonder what he was running off the plug?

More photos to come, as I dig them out.
        61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
        66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
        66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
        67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
        88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

Comment

• rwollschlager
          5th Gear
          • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Mogly406
          These are some of the "before" photos of my 109. The photos were taken about 10 years ago. It had been sitting for 11 years before I bought it.
          Was this part of a lot of rovers (2-3 other trucks, similar color) in Waterbury CT? I vaguely remember looking at them with my dad and Dave Ducat many years ago...

-Rob
          ------------------------------------------------
          72 SIII 88
          67 SIIA 109
          82 SIII Stage 1 V8
          -- http://www.youtube.com/barnfind88 --

Comment

• Tim Smith
            Overdrive
            • Nov 2006

Originally posted by rwollschlager
            Was this part of a lot of rovers (2-3 other trucks, similar color) in Waterbury CT? I vaguely remember looking at them with my dad and Dave Ducat many years ago...

-Rob
            Where in Waterbury?!? I need to know!!!

Comment

• HybridIIA
              1st Gear
              • Dec 2006

Originally posted by rwollschlager

-Rob
              Yes it was from that lot. The guy had an 88 in pieces, a 109 pickup and the 109 SW that I bought. Your dad is the dentist, right? I remember him telling me that he checked them out, but passed because they were a little too rough to be worth the effort of dragging them home especially since he just finished putting together the white 109.
              '62 109 - coil sprung
              '64 88 - coil sprung

Comment

• rwollschlager
                5th Gear
                • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Mogly406
                Your dad is the dentist, right? I remember him telling me that he checked them out, but passed because they were a little too rough to be worth the effort of dragging them home especially since he just finished putting together the white 109.
                Yup thats him, the white 109 is still going strong. I'm glad to see at least one truck made it out of that lot and was returned to working order

-Rob
                ------------------------------------------------
                72 SIII 88
                67 SIIA 109
                82 SIII Stage 1 V8
                -- http://www.youtube.com/barnfind88 --

Comment

• Terrys
                  Overdrive
                  • May 2007

Originally posted by SafeAirOne
                  Is this one of the ultra rare 'Birch Bark' tops?

Comment

• jp-
                    5th Gear
                    • Oct 2006

In June 2002, I purchased my 88" from an eBay seller in Philadelphia, PA. I didn't expect to win with my bid of $400, but I did. I left out on June 21st for the longest weekend trip of my life. Upon arriving, we talked to the owner who had only recently gotten into Rovers and had purchased "several" from someone who wanted to get out of the hobby. The seller, Dan, was driving a well worn military 109 pickup (I can post photos if you'd like to see it). We followed him for about 20 miles into the country to retrieve the 88. We came to a plain metal building, and this is what was inside.

This one was mine.

If you were counting, there were 6 Land Rovers in there and 1 Sankey trailer.

After loading up, he asked if I was going to be needing any parts. Yes.
                    We then drove another 40 miles across town to a small wooden barn/loft. Apparently, he had acquired all of these parts along with the Rovers. This place was a time warp. On the lower floor were Series I and II engines and transmissions, axle assemblies, bulkheads, bumpers, and various other bulky parts. On the second floor was the mother load. Brand new Series I and II light assemblies, turn signal indicators, exhaust manifolds, and complete exhausts, no fewer than 10 bonnets, wings, complete doors (and 4 station wagon rear doors), several Fairey overdrives, brand new brake drums, emergency brake levers, steering wheels, clutches, and a thousand other things. If I had had more money, I would have left with much more. As it was, I got a deluxe bonnet, a spare transmission, some rear lights, a turn signal indicator, a gorgeous set of Santana headlights and trim rings (currently on my NADA), and a few other bits and pieces.

Here is a bad shot of the lower floor.

And the upper.

If I hadn't been so absolutely blown away by the place, I would have taken better photos.

The guy had no idea what he had.
                    Last edited by jp-; 01-03-2010, 09:35 PM. Reason: image problems
                    61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
                    66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
                    66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
                    67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
                    88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

Comment

• badvibes
                      3rd Gear
                      • Mar 2007

WOW! INCREDIBLE! THE PROMISED LAND!

This is the the grail of Rover finds one hears about, unbelieveable. I'm out of superlatives, what a find.
                      1964 Series 2A SW, LHD mostly stock, often runs!

1991 Range Rover Hunter

Comment

• Nanoose
                        Low Range
                        • Dec 2009

1969 Land Rover series 5 door

A bit of a project?

I don't know anything about this truck...the add is posted on a local site, here:

Comment

• Cutter
                          4th Gear
                          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by jp-
                          We came to a plain metal building, and this is what was inside...

If I hadn't been so absolutely blown away by the place, I would have taken better photos.

The guy had no idea what he had.
                          Seriously I would have kept in touch with the guy...and maybe moved to Philly

Comment

• Alaska Mike
                            Low Range
                            • Oct 2007

This is my '73 Series III Rover pile when it was still bolted together:
                            The frame, bulkhead (top to bottom), breakfast, and door frames were basically rust molecules holding hands. At least the engine, transmission, and transfercase were missing crucial parts. The previous owner didn't have the right size axle u-bolts, so he jammed a screwdriver in there and cranked them down. There was more wrong with it than right, but I've always wanted one and was looking for a project. Since shipping replacement parts to do even a functional resto on it would be cost prohibitive, it's going to be a hybrid of major components from about 5 different brands of vehicle. Many old parts were sold off, which covered the initial cost of the vehicle.

I've replaced the frame with a galvanized one, and found a repairable bulkhead that I'm slowly going through. The axles have been rebuilt completely, and I installed 24 spline axles and a Disco carrier in the rear diff. I rebuilt the rear springs and replaced the fronts. I rebuilt a Jeep 2.5L MPFI engine and mated it to a SM465/Spicer 18 combo. I have a IH Scout II power steering box waiting to be installed.

I have enough work left to do that I unsure if gas will still be available when it's finally streetable. At least it's not rotting away as a parts vehicle in the woods.

Comment

• J.McKelvey
                              Low Range
                              • Jan 2010

Here's some pictures of some rovers I've found around the province.

These area a collection of 88's a guy has in his back yard. He says he's going to restore one of them someday. They have been there for years. The area flooded a few years back and you can see in one of the pictures how high the water was.
                              1951 I 80" - Summer driver
                              1965 IIA 88" - Daily driver
                              1964 IIA 109" - Future project...

Comment

• J.McKelvey
                                Low Range
                                • Jan 2010

Sorry, I couldn't put all the pictures in one. Here's the picture with the window. Also a picture of a 109" that I purchased recently. The guy used it to store dog food for year. The plan is to restore it in the not to distant future
                                1951 I 80" - Summer driver
                                1965 IIA 88" - Daily driver
                                1964 IIA 109" - Future project...

Comment

Working...