Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • yorker
    Overdrive
    • Nov 2006

If you want to use SVO or Bio Diesel you really need a diesel with the Bosch pump. So that would preclude the use of the early Lucas/CAV pump diesels.

So a Mercedes Diesel, or a Cummins, or a 200tdi, or a perkins prima or something like that is what you need to look at for an engine. What you want to go with depends on what you want in the end.

I think for ease of install the 200di is a good idea, if you need more power (like you might with an amby- the 200tdi is probably the way to go. The thing that bugs me about them is they were produced for a rather limited time, were never ever imported here with any vehicle, and they were supeceded even by Land Rover in rather short order. Obviously parts will eb available through the usual specialized Land Rover sources here and abroad but something like a Mercedes OM617, or a Cummins 4bt, or Isuzu 4b1t, would offer much more widespread and easy access to parts here in North America for the long term.

for example:
    This website is for sale! isuzudieselswapper.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, isuzudieselswapper.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Price out a complete overhaul on a 200TDI vs the 4bd1t

core engine:

Engine Overhaul Kit which includes SLEEVES
    PISTONS
    RINGS
    PISTON PINS & RETAINERS
    PISTON PIN BUSHINGS
    ROD BEARINGS
    MAIN BEARINGS
    THRUST WASHERS
    CAM BEARINGS
    COMPLETE GASKET SET

1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

Comment

• scott
      Overdrive
      • Oct 2006

i'm turning japanees, i really think so...

sorry stupid song. going isuzu would require an adapter on their adapter right? the dude had produce an adapter for gm trannys and i'd need to squeeze a scotty inbetween it and the lr stuff.

i will look into the cost of a cummings. i talked to a off road fab dude in lubbock and he told of the c4bt turbo'd in a postal jeep that they built just to play with. exhaust straight up through the bonnet, slicks on the rear doing under twelve in the 1/4 mile leaves a huge cloud of black from the tree to the finish. he said it was mostly built from crap bolted on from a salvage yard.

i'm no purist so as long as it looks like a series, moves quickly, is durable and doesn't cost an arm and a leg and a marriage i'll be satisfied
      '64 Series IIA 88 Canvas Tilt
      '68 Series IIA RHD Ambulance
      '76 Spitfire 1500
      '07 LR3 (Series Recovery Vehicle)

Comment

• yorker
        Overdrive
        • Nov 2006

The Isuzu would probably exceed the strength of the Series transmission, you'd want to swap that out as a part of the transition. You'd need to consider gear ratios too.

Best way would be to use that new AA adapter on the Series transfer case and then use whatever GM tranny is best suited to the Isuzu (close ratio NV4500? NV3550? IDK)

Cummins would require a good deal the same but they can be had with the GM or Ford bellhousing which could help.

The Mercedes OM617 would be nice and quiet- pretty easy to find too. With the 1 ton/military chassis you have under your ambulance you might not even need to trim the oil pan? It is less powerful but more civilized and it revs higher (in stock form) than the Cummins/Isuzu like to.

Like I said it all depends what you want, how much $ you want to spend, and how much fabrication you want to take on.

A 200DI could probably be done in a weekend that is what is cool about them (at least to me). A 200 TDI would be more involved but still less fabrication than the Cummins, Isuzu etc would require. In 15 years who knows how easy it will be to get 200tdi parts when you are broken down on the Alcan highway on your way to Alaska? The others were sold in the 100's of 1000s here.

Land Rover UK Forums

Comment

• yorker
          Overdrive
          • Nov 2006

The Isuzu Landy Enthusiasts Section - The Isuzu Landy Enthusiasts Section

Land Rover UK Forums

Comment

• RoverDover
            1st Gear
            • Jan 2010

Put a Defender grill and hood on there so you can fit a 6BT in there!

If you are gonna put a 200tdi in without a turbo, you might as well just get a 2.5NA, They are dirt cheap, and you only need a hammer and a pair of fencing pliers to rebuild them! I carry a complete set of gaskets in my tool kit and could do a head gasket in 2 hours on the side of the road if I had to.
            67 angry hamsters

Comment

Working...