Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kevkon
    3rd Gear
    • Aug 2009

Mongo, if you were to do the trip again what would you do differently?
    I really hope you can share more pics and info with everyone!
    94 D-90 tdi
    72 Series III

Comment

• mongoswede
      5th Gear
      • May 2010

Originally posted by kevkon
      Mongo, if you were to do the trip again what would you do differently?
      I really hope you can share more pics and info with everyone!
      The rest of the photos are on my smugmug account here:

http://crazyswede.smugmug.com/Motorc...69392860_FmhLp there are a lot on there that would take forever to post here given there is a limit on how many photos you can link to at one time.

If i were to do the trip again...which is likely I would do a few things differently. For one thing I would take a lot less stuff and I would not use hard luggage. I have a nice travel duffle that straps onto the back of the bike...its a lot lighter and a lot more compact. I would use a different bike as well. My current machine is a KTM 690...its fuel injected and a lot lighter then the big bike I used last time. The way the bike is setup now it carries about 24 litres of fuel giving it a range of between 250 and 300 miles.

its not a land rover but it goes places no land rover could ever think about going...at least not without a chain saw

Comment

• LR Max
        3rd Gear
        • Feb 2010

Which vehicle?

For my car, I just make sure maintenance is up. Do I need oil change? Brakes? Etc. Most of the time, I know if these items are in question. Also if my tires need to be balanced, I'll do that (Discount Tire unlimited rotate + Balance = ). Then I carry 2 coolers: One in the trunk that has plenty of fluids and some food. Front cooler is basically a little cooler that I can easily get to. Clean up the car! Easier than having last weeks coke cans rolling around. Check spare tire pressure but even still, test and throw in the little crappy air compressor along with plug kit (good plug kits are worth their weight in gold!!). Lastly, update music, podcasts and make sure they are all good to go.

For the rover, top off fluids, make sure everything is in working order, tire pressure, make sure I've got all misc crap outta the back and extra batteries for the noise cancelling earphones.

Oh, one thing I forgot to add: I try to only travel during the day. Seems to take a lot of stress off driving.

Comment

• lrdukdog
          3rd Gear
          • Nov 2006

WOW!!!!!!

"your pics make me want to dump tons more $$ into my Rover, leave my career and travel the world with my dogs and my Rover!"

AMEN!!!! makes my feet start to itch..what a trip for an old 1966 109 SW and the Tollers.
          Jim Wolf

Comment

• KingSlug
            1st Gear
            • Oct 2006

Joining and print the list from www.birmabrightbrotherhood.org

Besides basic tools and cap/rotor/cond, oil and water (which should be in the rover at all times). Just go.

I bought my 2a ambulance after a 10 minute test drive, then drove it from north of Yosemite to San Clemente, about 400 miles. Sure it was a little slow especially over the Grapevine, but not too bad.

If you drive your rover regularly there is hardly anywhere I wouldnt go a a moments notice.

Jared
            Visit The Wandering Hippo (my 109 S2A Ambulance).

Comment

• amcordo
              5th Gear
              • Jun 2009

Originally posted by KingSlug
              Joining and print the list from www.birmabrightbrotherhood.org

Besides basic tools and cap/rotor/cond, oil and water (which should be in the rover at all times). Just go.

I bought my 2a ambulance after a 10 minute test drive, then drove it from north of Yosemite to San Clemente, about 400 miles. Sure it was a little slow especially over the Grapevine, but not too bad.

If you drive your rover regularly there is hardly anywhere I wouldnt go a a moments notice.

Jared

I just sent an email to join this and it was returned undelivered - their mailbox is full. Is anyone still checking this?

Comment

• Mercedesrover
                3rd Gear
                • Oct 2006

Originally posted by amcordo
                Is anyone still checking this?

Eh, that would be me. Gotta get back on that. I know I have about six-months of emails to answer.

Truth be told, the only call I ever received was from a guy that wasn't even a member. I really like the idea of the group but I'm not sure how useful it really is. Maybe I should start a thread on a few of the boards asking if this is still something us Series truck drivers are interested in.....
                www.seriestrek.com

Comment

• Cutter
                  4th Gear
                  • Feb 2009

seems like a great idea to me, i'd sign up

Comment

• crankin
                    5th Gear
                    • Jul 2008

To high jack this...
                    If the Brimabright Brotherhood thing is still catching on good...
                    I wouldn't mind getting a group order together for badges...similar to the "Bloody Knuckle Pub" badges...man, those things were nice. I saw one go on ebay for $100+ a while back.

Birmabright Brotherhood

Take the vow, join the brotherhood!

Clint Rankin - 1972 SIII SWB

Comment

• mongoswede
                      5th Gear
                      • May 2010

Originally posted by Cutter
                      seems like a great idea to me, i'd sign up
                      I spend a fair amount of time on the Advrider forum (motorcycle stuff). There is section there called "Tent space"....its just a spot where people can go in and find people on their intended route that are willing to let you camp in their back yard...maybe even let you stay in the guest room.

Comment

• RoverForm
                        3rd Gear
                        • Jul 2010

Originally posted by Mercedesrover
                        I usually bring all this stuff too.
                        thank you for this. extremely useful. i have that busketboss canvas tool bag. love it.

the following excerpt is from SteveH on the land rover addict forum. a lot of this stuff would be covered in your general maintenance, but obviously should be checked before you head out.

Originally posted by Steve H
                        I would make sure I have such basic consumables as fan belt,radiator hoses,something to stop radiator leaks(most auto shops have stuff for this), spare water pump, spare fuel lift pump,( or kits to fix along the way if you need them, maybe you can do a buy to return if not needed with your supplier, not sure what the situation is there) check all your fluids, radiator , engine, gear & transfer boxes, diffs. Carry spare top up oils & water, check & regrease wheel bearings if need be. All standard stuff but easily overlooked in the muddle of getting ready for a big trip.

Check the condition of your drive shaft universals, maybe a good time to unbolt them & check for full & free movement, almost impossible to do in situ. Grease them up wiggle them around, grease them some more. Take along a wheel bearing kit & hub nut spanner, 53mm box spanner , I think that J33ps have/had the same size, not expensive & worth their weight in gold if you need it, save butchering nuts with cold chisels etc. Try & make sure you have every tool you could need, by 73 the Landies were a fair old mix of metric, imperial & still the odd whitworth, I'm not sure which is which, I've got most of these & used them on my SIIa when I had it (sob!) but can't remember which was which & some things had changed when S3s came along. I guess some plugs, points, condensor & leads wouldn't go astray either.
                        HTH, Cheers, Steve.

Comment

• albersj51
                          5th Gear
                          • May 2010

Originally posted by Mercedesrover

Eh, that would be me. Gotta get back on that. I know I have about six-months of emails to answer.

Truth be told, the only call I ever received was from a guy that wasn't even a member. I really like the idea of the group but I'm not sure how useful it really is. Maybe I should start a thread on a few of the boards asking if this is still something us Series truck drivers are interested in.....
                          I think the concept is great! While the need may not be great, it's probably a thing were if it weren't there then the need would be. Maybe people just don't know about it...I know I didn't

Comment

• amcordo
                            5th Gear
                            • Jun 2009

Originally posted by crankin
                            To high jack this...
                            If the Brimabright Brotherhood thing is still catching on good...
                            I wouldn't mind getting a group order together for badges...similar to the "Bloody Knuckle Pub" badges...man, those things were nice. I saw one go on ebay for $100+ a while back.

Agree. But instead of normal badges, I'd suggest Camel Trophy style plates that can be attached to roof racks or in front of the radiator. Way cooler and more roverish. Could even hold a design competition for the end product! http://www.google.com/images?q=camel...N&hl=en&tab=wi

Comment

• Escargo
                              Low Range
                              • May 2008

All Metal Dash Road trip

Anyone thinking of getting up to the All-Metal Dash weekend from the mid-Atlantic? How about you Virginia guys? Have not checked the mileage but it has to be 400plus miles from Norfolk.
                              Hans Gabler

Comment

• stonefox
                                4th Gear
                                • Jul 2010

Originally posted by amcordo
                                I just sent an email to join this and it was returned undelivered - their mailbox is full. Is anyone still checking this?
                                I had the same thing happen about a weekago .Mercedes Jim when the bugs are worked out could you leave us a post somewere.
                                Sean
                                ---------------------------------------------------------------

1963 88'' IIa daily driver
                                1970 88"
                                1971 88"
                                authenticstoneworks.com

Comment

Working...