• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mankins
    Low Range
    • Jan 2008

1973 Series III

Hey-

This is my second Series Land Rover. I bought this locally last summer. From what I can piece together, it was bought new in Burlington, NC by a Physician. He (and then his son) had it until 2005 then it went to a friend and I bought it from him.

Seemingly, it has had the life most cars can only dream of: sitting on a farm and then going on leisurely drives every now and again.

It appears to have had restoration of sorts about 15 years ago. It looks great (mostly and from 10 feet). The frame has a few issues but mostly its just been a driver. Just recently, a few things are needing attention.

The summer before (August 2010), I bought a 1960 Series II that is a non-running project. So, its been nice to have a runner. I've wanted one for 30 years so its an abundance of riches to have two.

Almost forgot, you can probably see on the passenger side where a tree customized the top prior to me purchasing. So, I will have to find a top at some point. The photos are from the day I bought it. You'll also notice a II/IIA grill. I have the proper plastic one and may change back, haven't given it much thought.

Anyway, I'm already enjoying the enthusiasm of the community and all of the help. look forward to getting to know folks and get more involved.

Phil.

Comment

• RoverForm
      3rd Gear
      • Jul 2010

Originally posted by 1971Series88

Anyway - I am sure I will have many questions for this forum.
      that is some serious patina.

Comment

• mrdoiron
        4th Gear
        • Dec 2009

Originally posted by bearcrawl
        Having just built my fist series, It really helps to see what other people have done with their Rovers. Some ideas I loved and went for , others I thought I would love, but didn't after seeing done.
        1966 2a Wolf Wheels 235 85 r16. RM Parabolics. Rovers North Sliders, Pertronix, Turner 8:1

Any idea what the color code is for this ?

Thinking of a face lift and changing from Bronze Green to something like this...

thanks, mike
        ---------------------------
        1961 Ser IIa Hybrid Defender
        1969 Ser IIa Bugeye
        1980 Ser III Lightweight 24V RHD- sold
        1988 LR90 turbo diesel RHD - currently frame off rebuild in progress
        1998 Disco - ex wife :-(
        2000 Disco - RIP , end over end 2.5 times
        2010 RR Sport Supercharged

http://mikerovers.shutterfly.com/

Comment

• albersj51
          5th Gear
          • May 2010

It looks like Limestone, DuPont code: 38505A

Comment

• mrdoiron
            4th Gear
            • Dec 2009

Originally posted by albersj51
            It looks like Limestone, DuPont code: 38505A
            excellent - many thanks, mike
            ---------------------------
            1961 Ser IIa Hybrid Defender
            1969 Ser IIa Bugeye
            1980 Ser III Lightweight 24V RHD- sold
            1988 LR90 turbo diesel RHD - currently frame off rebuild in progress
            1998 Disco - ex wife :-(
            2000 Disco - RIP , end over end 2.5 times
            2010 RR Sport Supercharged

http://mikerovers.shutterfly.com/

Comment

• giftshopduane
              1st Gear
              • Feb 2009

Love love love the white!

Comment

• pitchrollyaw
                Low Range
                • Apr 2012

first pics & first real drive

Here's mine:

Just got her inspection sticker and took her for some light off-roading at our local Rod & Gun. First time I've really driven her aside from the the first drive and few times as I was completing her. Took her off road then on the highway for a bit, wanted to see the entire envelope.

This project was a lot of work so far..more to go.

w

'72 Series III 88 "Greenie"
                '85 90 2.5NA "Stinky"

Comment

• jumpmaster54
                  1st Gear
                  • Sep 2011

Hi

Did you paint the cappings? If so with what?

Looks great Stan

Comment

• lincoln lass
                    Low Range
                    • Jan 2012

Hi

Beautiful looking landy.

Well done.

Comment

• pitchrollyaw
                      Low Range
                      • Apr 2012

Thanks.

Yes, the cappings are painted, not by my choice but they look OK. I used VHT wheel paint, the 'warm' silver one, Ford Argent color if I remember.

The PO had painted them using something that looked like Hammerite. When I replaced the lights, the original NADA stops were larger than the currently available ones and left an unpainted ring. I sanded the vertical corner cappings down, primed w/ a zinc rich primer and painted them to match the belt line capping as best as I could. I used several light then a heavy coat of the wheel paint and got a decent match.

I'd prefer them original, but I'll admit they do look pretty good.

w
                      '72 Series III 88 "Greenie"
                      '85 90 2.5NA "Stinky"

Comment

• eggman
                        Low Range
                        • Aug 2011

This is my Rover on the way home from my brother in laws place where it sat for 32 years (last registered in 1979) I picked it up last spring and have been working on it since! It is a 1971 Series IIa! I have replaced all of the following: Master brakes cylinder, master clutch cylinder, clutch slave cylinder, all rubber hoses, dist cap, rotor, points, condensor, spark plugs, wires, all four brake pistons, had the brake drums ground, tires, seats, rebuilt fuel pump, replaced all fuel lines, new fuel tank, replaced all fluids (except for diffs), window tracks and various other little things as I got to them! Love the Rover and my kids/nieces have named it Dobby after the house elf in Harry Potter!Click image for larger version

Name:	dobby1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	166960Click image for larger version

Name:	dobby2.jpg
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	166961Click image for larger version

Name:	dobby3.jpg
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	166962

Comment

• giftshopduane
                          1st Gear
                          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by eggman
                          This is my Rover on the way home from my brother in laws place where it sat for 32 years (last registered in 1979) I picked it up last spring and have been working on it since! It is a 1971 Series IIa! I have replaced all of the following: Master brakes cylinder, master clutch cylinder, clutch slave cylinder, all rubber hoses, dist cap, rotor, points, condensor, spark plugs, wires, all four brake pistons, had the brake drums ground, tires, seats, rebuilt fuel pump, replaced all fuel lines, new fuel tank, replaced all fluids (except for diffs), window tracks and various other little things as I got to them! Love the Rover and my kids/nieces have named it Dobby after the house elf in Harry Potter![ATTACH=CONFIG]6248[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]6249[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]6250[/ATTACH]
                          Its PERFECT!! Funny that trailer will outrun the Landy. Love it.

Comment

• eggman
                            Low Range
                            • Aug 2011

What is even better was the price..........FREE just come and pick it up!

Comment

• GeniusAndHisAssistant
                              Low Range
                              • Apr 2012

just picked it up today! 1970 IIAClick image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3840.JPG
Size:	230.1 KB
ID:	166979Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3893.JPG
Size:	229.6 KB
ID:	166980

Comment

• eggman
                                Low Range
                                • Aug 2011

Nice rover! What's the history of it? Barn find?

Comment

Working...