Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Daily Driver 109

Question Daily Driver 109

All-
    I am searching for a LHD 109 Station Wagon to use as a daily driver. I grew up driving an older truck (a blazer) with significant rust and maintenance. I have read many many posts on multiple forums about people who bought their rover for a several thousand $$ and spent the next ? years tweaking it to make it how they wanted it. I did not, however, see any posts about buying a rover already finished. At my current stage of life (new job, kids, etc) I do not have the time to build my own 109. I am not in the market for a rover finished to try and be a BMW or some other fancy car, but I want something that would drive well, be dependable with basic maintenance (oil + filter changes, brake + tire inspections, etc), wouldn't have me getting to work soaking wet or smelling like i took an oil bath, and be a good daily driver. Questions:
    - Who refinishes and sells rovers? I have seen several sellers online but I haven't read much about who is recommended by you all. I am located in Wisconsin but would ship / travel to get the right rover.
    - What should I look for in a finished rover like this? I expect to get a rover with a galvanized frame, new LHD bulkhead / firewall, OME shocks/springs, OME steering stabilizer...
    - What would a rover like this cost? I know you get what you pay for, and I want something nice that my wife wouldn't mind driving too. Remember, I don't want a BMW, I don't need a DVD player, and I'm not buying from East Coast Rovers...
    - What engine / trans would you put in? I am not a diesel mechanic. I have looked at petrol vs. a 300tdi...
    - Am I being too wishful looking for a car like this or wanting to use it as a daily driver? I consider myself handy and mechanical, I have done basic maintenance on my vehicles in the past, but I would not (currently) feel comfortable rebuilding a transmission or welding the frame... I won't have a long commute (~15 mins each way, easy suburb driving) and would have a back up car if needed...

Any and all comments are appreciated. I have thick skin but be nice if you think I'm crazy. Thanks!
    -Mark

If you want to get one in the States, there are some restorers but you pay for it! Get a search engine going on craigslist to search the nation for a seller. Check out www.lrx.com . Try Oklahoma off road(google for website) Mark has some stuff now and again, usually he puts ads on LRX. Stateside a restored one like you might be looking at can be anywhere from $25k to $160K. Check Ebay both here and in the UK. Lastly think about finding one in Canada or the UK. They are more plentiful in the UK and therefor cheaper, you could also have one built up for you over there. It's only money!

gene

For the past year I have used my 109 as my daily driver which equates to about a 80 mile round trip drive to and from work. The only issue I have had is a slight wiring issue. I have the standard 2.25 petrol and no mods. I think finding one with a good history and documentation was my biggest requirement.
    1971 Ex Mod IIA 109
    1985 D110
    1998 D1 (Sold)

What is your budget? I know of a great expertly built 109 for sale in CT.
    Jim

Thanks for the comments! ignotus, i have seen some of the websites you mentioned but I never know how reputable the sellers are. NCRover, it is nice to hear of other people using their rover as a daily driver. Jim- I could easily spend $20-30k and would be willing to go a bit higher for "the right" rover (in terms of finish, quality, dependability,etc). Thanks!

I second this thought

Quote Originally Posted by Jim-ME View Post
    What is your budget? I know of a great expertly built 109 for sale in CT.
    Jim
    Neil Hanekom
    '73 LHD 88
    '75 FFR 109 exMOD Build Photo's
    '99 D1

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Mark View Post
    wouldn't have me getting to work soaking wet or smelling like i took an oil bath
    Are you sure you want a Series to drive? Those are 2 big reasons to own one... it might be a little too "unrefined" for what your looking for. What about a D90 or 110? You can, by all means drive a Series every day, I plan on doing so with my 88, but there are some trade offs, I also own a Range Rover and a Discovery for a reason. Do some more research and soul searching, it is doable. Good luck.

Consider that nobody wants to work on Rovers. You need to find a shop that is willing to do your "dirty" work if you can't/won't. That's the first thing. Second is that these things suck down an incredible amount of time and money to keep them going, and even at that often suffer major mechanical injury like busted gearboxes and blown engines. You must keep a rainy day fund on hand.
    If you can depend on one thing about Rovers, it's that you can't depend on them. As a DD you really need a backup plan.
    Don't kid yourself that you are just going to buy it and drive it and everything will be cool.
    Next thing is that Series parts are getting harder to find and more expensive with each passing year. Any Series will be a rolling restoration in some fashion or another.
    I know I'm being a downer, but the fantasy is nice until the reality sets in. Deep pockets and patience define the Land Rover experience.

I've got a Series III 109 that's done as a hybrid [so it's really an '80's Range Rover, or more like a Stage 1 Series, underneath]. And I've used it as a daily driver, with some American changes to make it more reliable [than a typical Series...]. But if you have the cash go for a Defender, they do all a Series will do with better manners and easier to find parts and a better chance of finding a mechanic who will understand its workings. Ever panic stop in traffic in a truck with all drum brakes? It's not fun and the nerves get a good testing. Or pray for enough heat in winter to just defrost your windscreen?

'95 R.R. Classic LWB
    '76 Series III Hybrid 109
    '70 Rover 3500S

Default daily driving

I don't think they are too much different than any other old truck. If you can't do the work yourself would be the worst thing. There seems to be a certain amount of things you have to live with when you drive a rover if you don't want it to be down all the time.

I have found that it makes my rover ownership go better to have a pile of spare parts around. I haven't been too successful at buying much locally, even with the part numbers. It pays to have some regular maint parts on hand for sure.

My most recent truck has the iron duke engine in it and while I was initially dubious about it I have found it to be much easier to deal with as a daily driver than others I have had. It is almost like having a regular vehicle. My wife and I went about 200 miles in it yesterday antique shopping over in Iowa and she was surprised at how civilized it was compared to pretty much everything else I have had.