X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rwollschlager
    5th Gear
    • Sep 2007

Originally posted by GeniusAndHisAssistant
    next project is to get the fuel pump going, then we'll look into the clutch and see what condition the transmission is in...

we will be sending out an order to RN for new brake lines and some fuel lines in the next week or so...
    First off, congratulations on getting it running!
    Fuel pumps are not expensive so if your's is having issues it might be best to replace it now.
    As far as brake lines, not to knock our hosts, but it would be cheaper to get the fittings from our host, and find brake line at a local auto parts store and bend it and flare it yourself. If you don't have a flaring tool or a bender you can rent them for free at auto-zone, its a valuable skill to have which will be applicable to any car you'll have in the future.

-Rob
    ------------------------------------------------
    72 SIII 88
    67 SIIA 109
    82 SIII Stage 1 V8
    -- http://www.youtube.com/barnfind88 --

Comment

• Boston
      1st Gear
      • Feb 2010

Can't wait for my truck to be ready to fire up.

Comment

• GeniusAndHisAssistant
        Low Range
        • Apr 2012

Hi ya'll

Things are going grand here... front panels are off and the drive assembly (front hubs) are coming apart nicely - but the chrome on the swivel balls is worn away over about half of the surface. Are the balls something Ebben can smooth out/clean up and have it work ok? or do you think it will leak oil like a faucet. The swivels are very expensive and we really would like to make these work. Please comment on the ball situation and any advice you have to getting the big seal retainer ring off for the ball seals - they look very distorted/rusty and we hope not to wreck the housings that they mount to. The mounts cost more than we have in the money tin!

A big box came from Rovers North today - Ebben has his work cut out this summer! Ha! fuel pump, brake stuff, yup... lotsa fix'ns to make her safe for rip'n through Vermonts vast virgin forests.

"The Assistant" a.k.a. Dad

the photo is Ebben and his 'real' boss! Ha!
        Attached Files

Comment

• disco2hse
          4th Gear
          • Jul 2010

Swivels will probably need to be replaced, unless you can get second hand ones that are still good. Hunt around for someone who is wrecking. Check out the parts required from the parts manual and see how much you actually need to replace. You should do the bearings, etc. at the same time, and the bushes too. Front end is something you can't really scrimp on.

Hopefully, there won't be too many other big expenses as you work around.
          Alan

109 Stage 1 V8 ex-army FFR
          2005 Disco 2 HSE

http://www.youtube.com/user/alalit

Comment

• Revtor
            2nd Gear
            • Apr 2012

If the swivels are pitted, the seals will get chewed up and they will leak oil. If you are on a tight budget, I'd say keep you eyes out for a decent second hand pair, but in the mean time fill your swivels with one-shot grease. It was designed to stop crappy swivels from leaking. It'll stay in place so you can move on to other areas of the rig.

But keep your eyes out for new used swivels.. because any holes that would let oil out will let dirt and water in!! Not good in the long term.

congrats on the progress!!

~Steve
            ---- 1969 Bugeye ----
            ---- 1962 Dormobile ----

Comment

• cgalpin
              Low Range
              • May 2010

I'm glad to hear it's moving along cough we need more pictures cough.

People have had success filling the holes in the swivel balls with JB Weld, including myself although with minor pitting and not a long enough period to declare total success. You clean them really thoroughly, slather on some JB Weld, and sand smooth once set, perhaps a coat of epoxy paint on top. But If I were you I'd do this and go with one-shot grease just in case.

Comment

• disco2hse
                4th Gear
                • Jul 2010

Any updates guys?
                Alan

109 Stage 1 V8 ex-army FFR
                2005 Disco 2 HSE

http://www.youtube.com/user/alalit

Comment

• GeniusAndHisAssistant
                  Low Range
                  • Apr 2012

I just wanted to check in since I haven't said anything in a while. unfortunately, we didn't accomplish much over the summer. dad was busy with his boat shed (which we'll put the rover under!) and i was mowing lawns and working at a camp. hopefully we will have more time to work on it soon. we received clutch parts which are next on the list to go in!

onward!
                  ebben

Comment

• GeniusAndHisAssistant
                    Low Range
                    • Apr 2012

today was an exciting day. we pulled both clutch cylinders (which need to be replaced) and are beginning to think about patching the swivels. though we have a question! there is a ring on the back of the hub assembly that acts as a seal around the swivel. this DESPERATELY needs to be replaced. to pull these rings do we have to remove the whole hub assembly... if so... how on earth would we do that? it seems like there is no quick way to do it.

thanks in advance and sorry for the long hiatus!

ebben

Comment

• cgalpin
                      Low Range
                      • May 2010

Good to hear

There is no quick way, but the good news is that you do want to tear down the swivel balls and give it a good thorough cleaning and check the bearings. It likely just need a cleaning and fresh oil but you want to do that. It will give you a chance to access and fix the brakes as well.

charles

Comment

• Partsman
                        3rd Gear
                        • May 2011

That's right Ebben, there isn't an easy way to do this, but as Charles said, it gives you an opportunity to do the other things that need doing. Take this chance to do all of the jobs that need doing, and do them right the first time.
                        Harvey

Series 2 Club Forum

Andy The Landy Shop

Comment

• stomper
                          5th Gear
                          • Apr 2007

I think I have read that some people cut the seal open, and instal it with the cut facing up. that allows you to avoid the disasembly. I'm sure others will chime in on this, and whether is is a bad idea or not. If there is any pitting on the swivel balls, it will tear up your new seal in short order though, so you are probably best off taking it all apart to repair or replace the swivel balls.
                          Bad gas mileage gets you to some of the greatest places on earth.

Comment

• crankin
                            5th Gear
                            • Jul 2008

Originally posted by stomper
                            I think I have read that some people cut the seal open, and instal it with the cut facing up. that allows you to avoid the disasembly. I'm sure others will chime in on this, and whether is is a bad idea or not. If there is any pitting on the swivel balls, it will tear up your new seal in short order though, so you are probably best off taking it all apart to repair or replace the swivel balls.
                            TerriAnn...

Also, the epoxy filler technique is mentioned.

Here it is in more detail:

I will add my two cents...if you got everything apart go ahead and do the seal right, don't cut it.

Birmabright Brotherhood

Take the vow, join the brotherhood!

Clint Rankin - 1972 SIII SWB

Comment

• GeniusAndHisAssistant
                              Low Range
                              • Apr 2012

thanks everyone for your advice. i think we are going to pull the swivels and do the jb weld trick!

now on tires... i had a set, but the tire place decided that it wasn't good to put them on, and they they said they wouldn't sooo.... we're in the market for some cheap tires. the only thing is that they'll fit on a LR well, and have some bite to them. (i have a job up a steep driveway, and in the winter it'd be nice to take the rover up ).

any help will be great!

thanks!
                              ebben

Comment

• crankin
                                5th Gear
                                • Jul 2008

There are plenty of threads on the forum that discuss what tires fit well.

Do you have 15" or 16"?

Do a search for "tires" on here. I am partial to Toyo open country

Birmabright Brotherhood

Take the vow, join the brotherhood!

Clint Rankin - 1972 SIII SWB

Comment

Working...