Thread: Series 2 Solex Carb Vacuum advance parts

Default Series 2 Solex Carb Vacuum advance parts

Hey all, I just got my first Land Rover, and I'm going to learn a lot on this thing. It's a 1959, and has been robbed of many parts, ridden hard and put away wet. I did manage to get it running by only cleaning things and changing fluids. I noticed right off that there was a golf tee stuck in an unused threaded port on the left side (exhaust side as opposed to engine side) of the carb. I then noticed that it pops and misfires a lot at higher rpm. The next thing I noticed was that there is a vacuum advance on the distro, with nothing going to it. The picture is becoming clear, the vacuum advance unit is disconnected and the necessary parts are missing from the carb. It's a Solex 40PA10-5. Does anyone know what part numbers I need to look for to complete the vacuum circuit from the carb to the vacuum advance unit? I need the banjo bolt or whatever it is that threads into the carb and all associated fittings, and the vacuum line that goes to the advance unit. Once I get that set up I can then determine if I need to replace the advance unit. This is just the beginning of a long saga. The last time this Rover saw the road appears to be 1980. It's got a rotted frame, broken springs, missing exhaust, mismatched tub, seatbox, wings, hood, top. The wiring harness is non existent, and where it does exist it's strictly in a green corroded form. I'm a mechanic by day, and feel comfortable tackling this, but there is a severe lack of LR specific info in my head. I'll get there, though.

I have a rebuilt zenith carb and used dist with working vac advance I can sell you. Unfortunately I dont have a frame, springs, exhaust or wiring harness to sell but I guess you have to start somewhere lol...Seriously tho buy a new weber carb and electronic ignition.

Wrongway, the upgrade will come in time, but right now I have to get this going on a shoestring budget, replacing broken and missing bits is going to be a large expense. Where I can make something work I have to, for now.

The tube nut for the pipe into the carb is Rover number 260707 . https://www.johncraddockltd.co.uk/26...e-1948-67.html. It is a very course thread and possibly metric. The metal pipe and tube olives I have got from model steam engine suppliers . Has your distributer got a threaded connection for the Vac. pipe or a smooth tube which is for a rubber push on. If threaded, the tube nut is 3783 from the same place
    The Land Rover Series 2 club Forum is a good source of info. https://www.series2club.co.uk/new_forum/index.php. If you join the club they have all the shop manuals online to view.
    If you google the part number with Rover there might be a nearer supplier. Pictures from Parts book, why the illustration has inverted I don't know
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201129_171800.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	59.2 KB 
ID:	13525

Name:	20201129_171748.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	62.6 KB 
ID:	13526
    Last edited by roverp480; 11-30-2020 at 04:49 AM.

Thank you for that roverp480. Exactly what I needed. I’ll be joining the series2club right off

I've kept my 1960 Series II with Solex carb running well for 60 years, I have had it apart 2-3 times, can't remember why but it's an easy carb to work with I wouldn't try switching for another type. The cold start rather than a choke works very well and makes it is almost impossible to flood the engine. Does ice up a bit before the engine has warmed up and it does leak down or weep into the manifold when shut off hot but I can deal with that. Have fun.

I guess your carb has not got the heater element , which was fitted to reduce ice problems . PA 6 instead of a PA 5

Quote Originally Posted by roverp480 View Post
    I guess your carb has not got the heater element , which was fitted to reduce ice problems . PA 6 instead of a PA 5
    Tell / show me more.

even on zero budget you can keep that running. i have a old rottenchester carb on mine. i have no reason to promote it and i think it's a gas hog. i have a series 2a i want to drive but do not think it is getting oil press to the head and i haven't time to mess with it yet.
    thx, low range for the link to that series 2 club, i'll stick here though, i think this is the us forum with the most potential for series.
    Atlantic British whom i bought stuff from since 1974 doesn't do the series as well as zack does here.

Quote Originally Posted by blueseriesii View Post
    Tell / show me more.
    Item 23 in extract from Parts list. I believe heater is wired in parallel with the choke warning light switch , so operates when choke pulled out . I have only seen one on Rover Car I had once, fitted with the same LR engine, Rover P4 model 80 . If you blow up the picture, you can see a wire clipped the the fuel line to the carb. that leads to the terminal just above the spring loaded rod for the accelerator pump.

Name:	057.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	114.6 KB 
ID:	13541

Name:	20210127_163457 (2).jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	113.9 KB 
ID:	13539

Name:	20210127_163524 (2).jpg