Page 10 of 229 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you do to your Rover today?

It's not what I did but what the better half did. I went off skiing yesterday in the Subaru. Left the Rover home in the unheated garage where it lives. Wife found out she needed some thread something urgent and - faced with a two mile walk in the cold - she fired up the Rover and drove it out. I need to preface the significance of this by noting that, while she is very accepting of my Rover and me taking care of it, she's also clear that it's "mine". She's willing to go for rides but that's where it stops. I'm pleased to report that the SIII didn't let her (or me) down, even though she didn't know where the manual choke was and drove the thing without it. She said she had to plug in the radiator hose heater for half and hour before it would run.
    77 88" SIII County SW
    82 Jp CJ8

Quote Originally Posted by siiirhd88 View Post

Gunny, I want to see how your axle conversion works out.
    No worries, i will post pictures and a small write up.
    First but gone: 91 3 door Disco "White Rhino"
    77 Series III 88 ex MoD "Shongololo"
    Gone and I miss her: 97 D1 5 speed
    04 DII
    08 D3 (LR3)

Default Week in review

This week:
    The main thing was troubleshooting a persistent issue that essentially made the Rover un-drivable. Downshifting to align transmission was impossible (clutch spin?) - curiously, it was a problem only when hot, or if temps were above freezing.

1) Got fuel sender working again.
    2) Spherical Bearing - Slave Cylinder Mounting Bracket - Bodged together in lieu of parts - have parts now just haven't gotten to it.
    3) New Starter Switch (push type).
    4) Cleaned shot glass.

Today:
    1) New transmission mounts.
    2) New Clutch flex hose.
    3) Fuel filter.

The flex hose seems to have done the trick - we shall see. Productive week regardless.
    1960 88" SII Pliny the Elder
    1997 D-90
    "Fear profits man, nothing"

started the process of wiring up the rear window defoger (yeah, thats right, how slick is that?!?!).
    The PO installed glass with resistance strips embedded. The day I got the truck I swapped the hard top for soft top and disconnected them. Took some time today to rebuild those connections only to discover that the hot leads that run to the back of the truck are not working. I would have fixed that and my weather seals today, but it has not stopped snowing for 48 hours, and once my hands went numb it was time to quit tinkering and start driving around!

Removed the left footwell. Looks like I'll be replacing the lower door post too. Love my new spot weld cutter, used a standard drill bit on the right side much easier and faster with the spot weld cutter.
    How come dumb stuff always seems so smart when your doing it?
    David Crockett

Well in the snow (as is typical this time of year) I cleaned the plugs (seem to have a grey/white build-up, not sure about that) reset my point gap which was .006 back to .015 and cleaned the carbon off the cap and rotor. Tightened the exhaust manifold and heater supply hose clamps at the coil. Checked the fan belt and checked my tappet clearence (.010) and discovered that I have an oil leak from the back of my motor where the oil supply tube is. I'll order that crush washer for the banjo bolt. Still have a Exhaust manifold leak at the exhaust pipe connection, which I blame on an errant tree. Started rebuilding a wiring harness for the back so when I pull off the hard top I'll still have my reverse lights and tried to wire in a new heater that's on order. All in all not a bad days worth of attention for the series III. I even took it out to discover if the four-wheel drive was working by taking my little truck down an ATV trail which I discovered 1/2 mile in, was now blocked by a larger tree. Tested Camel Trophy Brush guard today too. Very effective on smaller trees....

Default what i did to my rover today

well i got a used set of 31x10.5/15 BFG tires will alot of tread left on them.
    early valentines day present from my wife. i just have to adjust the steering stops. i cant believe the difference. going to the DMV on friday.
    aaron
    Last edited by 73series88; 11-22-2010 at 06:32 PM.

I got her some seat brackets so I can get seats that fit back in her. I can't find any used seats that don't need a complete re-do which would negate any savings so I'm going to get the plain black set from our host to bolt to the box. I'd love to get the "elephant hide" seats to match the rear benches and bring back some of the original look but I just can't afford those.
    64 IIa 88
    94 Discovery
    06 Toyota 4R (DD)

~Matt
    --------------------------------------------
    "Not all who wander are lost"~Tolkein

Aaron, Your truck has come a long way in a short time! Looks great.
    72 SIII

thanks
    i couldn't have done it without everyones help
    crossing my fingers for the dmv.
    aaron