Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: T-Gasket on rear main?

i do not recall trimming anything .......... i do know you're much better off avoiding RTV, i use permatex. i haven't done those crank seals in years but comparing the seal system to modern stuff it's no wonder land rovers leak!!!,

I had the T seals start leaking on an 18 month old Series 3 . The seals had shrunk and were recessed about 1/8" into the cap . Rather than dismantle the engine I cut short lengths of seal about 1/4" long , coated them with Wellseal , pushed then into the recess, and then bolted the oil pan back on with a new gasket.. This pushed the new bits into the grove and also compressed the existing 'T' pieces making them seal better on the block/cap joint and cured the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by jimrr View Post
    i do not recall trimming anything .......... i do know you're much better off avoiding RTV, i use permatex. i haven't done those crank seals in years but comparing the seal system to modern stuff it's no wonder land rovers leak!!!,
    Which permatex product do you use? Ultra black? Gasket maker? It seems like there are a lot of different opinions on the best product to use for the rear crankshaft seal, and it seems super important since this area is prone to leaking oil.

As for trimming the flat part of the t-piece, its mentioned in step #26 on the diagram in a previous post on this thread. My worry is that if the cut is not perfectly square it might actuality worsen any leak. At this point I'll likely leave it uncut and hope for the best

re; which permatex, the old stuff that's horrible to get on your hands.......... kinda brown, permatex form a gasket liquid sealent .... i just went and looked at a can of it. ............. you really need to wait a half hr. or something before mating the surfaces as it works so much better then ..... also, on gaskets like a oil pan it really holds the gasket in place but you do have to let it dry a while.
    rtv sucks in my opinion. it is sure easy to use, looks nice etc. but when you undo something you always see the rtv has formed a nice thin layer but it hasn't stuck well to anything really. i like the stuff you have to really dig at to get it off.