Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clutch questions

As already suggested get a shop manual, possibly Haynes or preferably the Rover one . Extract from Owner's manual ( handbook) on bleeding the clutchName:  20201122_094305.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  64.0 KB

well, I'm stumped on this one. I got in and cleaned everything up so it was like new to try and spot any leaks. unloaded about 3 cans of brake-clean and engine cleaner to freshen it up. Then I bled the clutch (thanks for the help on this one!) and it was a bit better, but still not great. So I checked any linkage underneath and it all looked ok from what I could tell. So now I'm thinking that the master or the slave one of the two is bad. the slave seems to connect ok on the last 20% of the pedal which makes me believe that air is still somehow in there, but I cleaned it, bled the line, ran it around about 50 miles, then looked for leaks and I can't spot any. The reservoir is still full. So i'm stumped. To make things worse, the gears used to connect but now they are "slipping" when I try and connect. So I'm thinking that maybe its something like a pressure plate or something like that actually on the clutch itself. Not sure if there is a way to test individual parts to see if they are working? My "system" has an issue but don't know how to troubleshoot at this point.
    Nick Hauck
    '69 S2A 88 RHD

Best way to check if your clutch is slipping is to drive uphill in 4th gear and step on the gas hard. If the revs shoot up but you dont accelerate then time for a new clutch disc and pressure plate. Bleeding clutches can be tricky sometimes. Best to have someone depress clutch then close bleed screw before releasing. Repeat as long as it takes to get a good pedal making sure to top up the reservoir.

ok, thank you for the tip! I will give it a try tomorrow! so my best guess is that I have multiple issues going on... I think I have a leak somewhere in the clutch hydraulic system AND also have the pressure plate / clutch issue.... the guy I bought the vehicle from did a bunch of work to get it cleaned up, but he did leave a bunch of original parts. The rear axles went out a few weeks ago on a trail ride, so guessing that this clutch is likely an original as well and in need of replacement. The slave and master cylinder however really perplex me because even after bleeding it I just can't seem to find any leaks. So not sure where my pressure is leaving the system. Wondering if there is a way to somehow check these components? Like a dye that you could add to the system that shows up under a blacklight maybe? Wondering if there are any good suggestions of ways to find the leak apart from replacing each component one by one.....
    Nick Hauck
    '69 S2A 88 RHD

Inside the slave and master there are rubber cup shaped seals that push the fluid. It is possible the fluid is leaking past those seals so no pressure is built. Same idea behind a brake wheel cylinder.