PDA

View Full Version : Steering Wheel Refurb.

Paul and Judson
11-02-2010, 06:07 AM
I am looking to rehab my Series lll steering wheel. It has lost it's black service in all of the usual places and is down to the rough gray material underneath. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

masonater
11-02-2010, 06:53 AM
Eastwood sells a kit that looks pretty nice, I have not used it, but seems like it would do the trick. Kind of pricey...

http://www.eastwood.com/interior-repair/plastic-repair/master-steering-wheel-repair-kit-w-instruc.html

KevinNY
11-02-2010, 08:05 AM
Ike Goss sells a really nice lace on leather cover.

Jim-ME
11-02-2010, 08:36 AM
I agree with Kevin. Go with one of Ike's steering wheel covers.You won't be disappointed.
Jim

thixon
11-02-2010, 08:49 AM
Some black paint will do wonders here.

Eric W S
11-02-2010, 10:07 AM
The only way to really restore a steering wheel is to have it re-cast with a new poly. That's what I did. Expensive, but paint and kits just repair the current rot. The rest of the wheel will continue to rot out. Not much is really good at stabilizing it.

Google steering wheel restorations and do your own research. Covers and paint didn't cut it for me.

EwS

Bertha
11-03-2010, 04:39 PM
I have used the Eastwood kit in the past with positive results. As long as you dremel out the cracks really well and have a lot of patience in sanding, it works really well. You need to coat it with a car grade primer filler and paint for maximum longevity. I have restored several steering wheels over the years using this method and they have held up quite well. Most steering wheel restoration places use the same process and charge you a bundle for labor you could do yourself with a little patience.

ducttape
11-03-2010, 04:42 PM
Ike Goss sells a really nice lace on leather cover.

I was just thinking on my way home this evening that I should post a thank you to Ike for the cover. I bought it maybe a month ago and it is very, very nice. Excellent quality leather with a great feel and look.

JimCT
11-03-2010, 07:05 PM
wrap the wheel first with cork tape for bicycle handlebars then a layer or two of friction tape. Works well and costs almost nothing.

Mountain132
11-04-2010, 10:09 PM
I used the stuff they use to wrap tennis rackets. If you get the foam kind you can wrap it to make the humps.

jac04
11-05-2010, 07:40 AM
You can order a leather cover from Wheelskins as well. Take a few simple measurements and order it. That's what I did.
http://www.wheelskins.com/measure.php

lrdukdog
11-05-2010, 08:26 AM
They are nice, but why not support fellow Rover guy Ike at Pangolin 4x4?
Jim Wolf

RoverForm
11-11-2010, 11:27 AM
The only way to really restore a steering wheel is to have it re-cast with a new poly. That's what I did. Expensive, but paint and kits just repair the current rot. The rest of the wheel will continue to rot out. Not much is really good at stabilizing it.

Google steering wheel restorations and do your own research. Covers and paint didn't cut it for me.

EwS
who did you use for the re-cast?

Eric W S
11-11-2010, 11:59 AM
http://www.kipmotor.com/Parts/Recast.htm

Good pictoral of the process. Owner has a 63? that he used as the mold for mine and is a Brit Marquee guy as well.

Did good work for the price (Some folks recasting want well over $1,000). The end result is also dependent on your wheel as well. I got a nice used wheel from Ike at Pangolin4x4 and just bought a NOS center piece for it.

Dunsfold has an original for something like $800USD on their site.