X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Skookumchuck
    2nd Gear
    • Oct 2010

1970 Series III 88 engine swap 200Tdi

Is it reasonably straight forward to switch in a 200 Tdi into a series III 88? If not how much extra work is there to do it. I have the trany and transfere case out of the defender if needed.
    1968 Series IIA
    1987 D90 Kid's project
    German wirehair Pointer (Wood Hound)
  • rwollschlager
    5th Gear
    • Sep 2007

It is a very straightforward swap, you can use your existing transmission if desired, but if its not in good shape the tdi will eat it up and you'll find yourself replacing gears. There is a full write up on TeriAnn's website http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/...rsionIntro.htm

Good luck and post updates!

-Rob
    ------------------------------------------------
    72 SIII 88
    67 SIIA 109
    82 SIII Stage 1 V8
    -- http://www.youtube.com/barnfind88 --

Comment

• junkyddog11
      1st Gear
      • Feb 2007

Swapping the motor in itself is not terribly difficult if you have the right motor ie; Defender unit with the high turbo, which will basicly bolt together. The difficulty is in the small details and getting a good result with the radiator intercooler set-up which requires considerable fabrication (and I am not a big fan of electric fans) and creativity. IMO it is generally these things that make the difference between good and poor conversions.

The Defender trans and t-case is a little long for an 88 with the motor in original location. It could be used if you want to put a Defender or stage I front grill in it.
      Matt Browne
      www.overlandengineering.com
      "resurecting junk through engineering"

Comment

• AU_88
        1st Gear
        • Nov 2010

I may be looking at this as well, my motor overheated pretty badly this past weekend and I wont be able to survey the damage until May. I'm just thinking whether to keep it original or to upgrade... Would I need to add any extra gauges or could I retain the classic look of my IIa dash and how much would it cost to put a 200 Tdi in?
        WAR EAGLE!

65 IIa 88
        95 RRC 25th Anniversary
        98 Discovery LE7
        00 DII (Sold)

Comment

• Eric W S
          5th Gear
          • Dec 2006

Originally posted by AU_88
          I may be looking at this as well, my motor overheated pretty badly this past weekend and I wont be able to survey the damage until May. I'm just thinking whether to keep it original or to upgrade... Would I need to add any extra gauges or could I retain the classic look of my IIa dash and how much would it cost to put a 200 Tdi in?
          Google it. There is plenty of info. If you have to ask it may not be for you.

non-turbo 200's run around 3k. Add turbo and rebuilt and they can get up to 8k fast if you have to have it shipped.

And defender 200tdis are a rarity as all the UK guys are already using them or looking for them. So you may have to buy new 300tdi manifolds ect...

Do the math and the $$$/performance over a nicely built 2.25? not much at all.

Comment

• AU_88
            1st Gear
            • Nov 2010

Well after reading up, I think I would rather just keep the 2.25 and save the 300 Tdi for the future 110... Hopefully once I take apart the 2.25 in my truck it wont be too bad, but it did start tapping pretty bad before I could get it to the shoulder so I'm not hopeful. I may start looking for a good 8:1 ratio 2.25 over the next couple of months... Any good sources?
            WAR EAGLE!

65 IIa 88
            95 RRC 25th Anniversary
            98 Discovery LE7
            00 DII (Sold)

Comment

• singingcamel
              4th Gear
              • Oct 2006

Well after reading up, I think I would rather just keep the 2.25 and save the 300 Tdi for the future 110... Hopefully once I take apart the 2.25 in my truck it wont be too bad, but it did start tapping pretty bad before I could get it to the shoulder so I'm not hopeful. I may start looking for a good 8:1 ratio 2.25 over the next couple of months... Any good sources?
              These ole 2.25 liter engines are bullet proof, I doubt theres that much wrong with it , exspecially if you shut it down Quickly.
              Sounds like a bent push rod and a stuck lifter.
              www.singingcamel.com

Comment

• Eric W S
                5th Gear
                • Dec 2006

Yeah, the one you have. Most likely can shave the head to 8:1. Talk to a good machine shop.

Comment

• Skookumchuck
                  2nd Gear
                  • Oct 2010

I am still thinking of doing this the 200tdi is out of a defender and comes with the trany and transfere case hich I wont be using so they will be for sale. I like diesel better than gas but that is just my opinion as you know everyone has one. The 2.25 is in good running condition if anyone needs one.
                  1968 Series IIA
                  1987 D90 Kid's project
                  German wirehair Pointer (Wood Hound)

Comment

Working...