PDA

View Full Version : my work space - delayed

kwd509
04-12-2011, 06:03 PM
The barn I'd been hoping to use for the rover repair is on hold as the property changes hands. It may be available but not until fall at the earliest. Still, about 18 inches of snow (on mud) left but soon I should begin rover work in ernest. If I build a pole barn that is that much less $ for the rover itself (though it would be nice). If I can manage with a simple moveable greeenhouse or tent-garage I lay out less $ now and hopefully have the bulk of the work done by fall, even at my slow pace. And, wife actually approves of a greenhouse as a leftover from the project.

I've seen photos of rovers being worked-on in very minimal accommodations. I would imagine jacks/stands would rest on sturdy steel plate (1'x1') to add stability.

But my question is whether there Are complications I am not anticipating (as opposed to simple inconvenience)?

Thanks.

LaneRover
04-12-2011, 07:04 PM
I'd say go for the greenhouse to make the wife happy!

For the short term you could probably get away with plywood squares under the jackstands. I would make sure you could rig up a light and can you get power out there for tools too?

kwd509
04-12-2011, 07:23 PM
I'd say go for the greenhouse to make the wife happy!

For the short term you could probably get away with plywood squares under the jackstands. I would make sure you could rig up a light and can you get power out there for tools too?

Light and power and water are readily available......so that looks good.

albersj51
04-12-2011, 08:04 PM
I'm doing my restoration in a greenhouse and it works great! Problem here is now that its getting to 85+ degrees it feels like 100+!

printjunky
04-12-2011, 08:27 PM
An enclosed Rover workspace? What, what? Fancy, that.

LaneRover
04-12-2011, 08:33 PM
I'm doing my restoration in a greenhouse and it works great! Problem here is now that its getting to 85+ degrees it feels like 100+!

Ya but he's in VT. He'll be lucky if it feels like 85.

kwd509
04-12-2011, 09:22 PM
Ya but he's in VT. He'll be lucky if it feels like 85.

85f would feel like Texas in august..... But if greenhouse works then no complaints..... I will have to lay claim to the limited flat ground.

JackIIA
04-13-2011, 08:02 AM
kw - why not pour a pad while you're at it. I've done that when doing mason work (e.g., large pads for sizable entry steps, walks.)

granted, your talking 3 pallets of concrete, and digging to avoid frost heaves, lay sand, etc. but renting a mixer is cheap and bags around here go for $3.14. If you're building anything permanent, it might be worth it. a greenhouse sounds like it to me. and that gets around worrying about plywood, steel sheeting, mud, etc. of course, it is back breaking work too. but i think worth it.