PDA

View Full Version : pintle hook

siii8873
05-15-2011, 08:41 AM
I'm working on my spare pintle hook. Is there a trick in seperating the main hook piece from the swivel/base part? I copied and marked up one of Jac04's pictures to show what I mean. Also It took much effort to remove the pins and essentially ruined them in the process. Anyone know if they are available? If not I'll get some made. Thanks

jac04
05-15-2011, 08:55 AM
I assume you have removed the two C-shaped retainers attached by phillips head screws, correct? After they are removed, the hook should pull away from the base. If they don't, I would try pressurizing the hook at the grease fitting, hoping to break them free (a good grease gun can produce a tremendous amount of pressure). Other than that, you can try soaking in penetrating oil. I suppose you could also try warming up the hook, but not knowing the type of metal (and possible heat treatment) I would try to avoid heating it with a torch.

I haven't seen the main pins available. I thought I remembered Les having some pintle parts - try sending him a PM, he might be able to help.

siii8873
05-15-2011, 10:06 AM
Right after writing thia I went back out and was able to remove it with a gease gun, pumped right off. Didn't work yesterday but I had also removed the greese nipple last night, cleaned it out best I could and sprayed PB Blaster in hole a few times. I think that loosened things up overnight.
I see from the pic above that the shafts were supposed to have C-clips. Mine did not they were aggressively peened over. I could see the remnants of the c-clip grooves.
thanks