X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • siii8873
    Overdrive
    • Jul 2007

pintle hook

I'm working on my spare pintle hook. Is there a trick in seperating the main hook piece from the swivel/base part? I copied and marked up one of Jac04's pictures to show what I mean. Also It took much effort to remove the pins and essentially ruined them in the process. Anyone know if they are available? If not I'll get some made. Thanks
    THING 1 - 1973 88 SIII - SOLD
    THING 2 -1974 88 SIII Daily Driver - SOLD
    THING 3 - 1969 88 SIIA Bugeye Project
    THING 4 - 1971 109 SIIA ExMod - SOLD
    THING 5 - 1958 109 PU
    THING 6 - 1954 86" HT
  • jac04
    Overdrive
    • Feb 2007

I assume you have removed the two C-shaped retainers attached by phillips head screws, correct? After they are removed, the hook should pull away from the base. If they don't, I would try pressurizing the hook at the grease fitting, hoping to break them free (a good grease gun can produce a tremendous amount of pressure). Other than that, you can try soaking in penetrating oil. I suppose you could also try warming up the hook, but not knowing the type of metal (and possible heat treatment) I would try to avoid heating it with a torch.

I haven't seen the main pins available. I thought I remembered Les having some pintle parts - try sending him a PM, he might be able to help.

Comment

• siii8873
      Overdrive
      • Jul 2007

Right after writing thia I went back out and was able to remove it with a gease gun, pumped right off. Didn't work yesterday but I had also removed the greese nipple last night, cleaned it out best I could and sprayed PB Blaster in hole a few times. I think that loosened things up overnight.
      I see from the pic above that the shafts were supposed to have C-clips. Mine did not they were aggressively peened over. I could see the remnants of the c-clip grooves.
      thanks
      THING 1 - 1973 88 SIII - SOLD
      THING 2 -1974 88 SIII Daily Driver - SOLD
      THING 3 - 1969 88 SIIA Bugeye Project
      THING 4 - 1971 109 SIIA ExMod - SOLD
      THING 5 - 1958 109 PU
      THING 6 - 1954 86" HT

Comment

Working...