PDA

View Full Version : gaskets and sealants

rejeep
10-05-2011, 06:15 PM
for the water pump and thermostat housing...whats the best sealer to use? assume Hylomar the whole way around?

SafeAirOne
10-05-2011, 06:37 PM
I personally just use the paper gaskets and Permatex High-Tack Gasket Sealant (http://www.permatex.com/products/Automotive/automotive_gasketing/gasket_sealants/auto_Permatex_High_Tack_Gasket_Sealant.htm)on one side for the water pump and just the paper gaskets alone on the thermostat housing.

I'm sure responses to the question will be as varied as the people who own Rovers.

Apis Mellifera
10-05-2011, 08:05 PM
I also use Permatex on all the gaskets, but I use the red, spray gasket adhesive. If the surface is really craggy or I can't get a satisfactory cleaning (hub fixings in situ, por ejemplo), I use YamaBond, which is essentially Hylomar that's cheaper and available locally.

rickv100
10-06-2011, 07:56 AM
I cleaned up the surfaces and used Permatex Gasket Sealant with the paper gasket but I was still getting leaks around the thermostat housing, I pulled it apart and wound up using Hylomar. No leaks after using the Hylomar.

Permatex makes a similar product to Hylomar so I would go with that the next time.

Rick

Jim-ME
10-06-2011, 08:33 AM
I have just recently started using Permatex Ultra-Black in addition to paper gaskets. No complaints so far and what is even better no leaks.
Jim

cedryck
10-06-2011, 11:15 AM
NO leaks! why my garage floor would miss all that 90w dripping on it. Well done.