PDA

View Full Version : Oil leak??? Rear main seal??? help

95 range rover 4x4
04-29-2012, 07:54 PM
im leaking oil all over the place i have straight 40 weight oil in there to try and stop the leaks. the leaks i know is the front seal where the timing chain is. the second leak is the oil pan gasket.finally the 3rd leak is between the engine and tranny meet i think its the rear main seal. I have no idea about the engine is it a whole seal or half a seal??? Whats the process that has to be done to change it does the engine have to be taken out? any info will be great
thank you

mearstrae
04-30-2012, 01:02 AM
The easiest way to do the work you describe is to pull out the engine. Otherwise you'll end up pulling out the trans and transfer case assembly, for starters, to get to the rear seal (no real difference changing a two piece or one piece rear seal). On the front seal, the damper pulley must come off, most of the front seals are removed from the inside of the timing cover, so it has to come off. The oil pan is pretty straight forward and can be done either way. But if the leak is so severe that straight 40wt won't stay in, there might be other problems causing the leaks, such as: Clogged PCV system, Bad blow-by in the cylinders. (a compession check and intake vacuum test should show if there's trouble other than just seals). Have these things checked before you tear anything down, so you have an idea what's really going on. There are a miriad of things that can cause a bad leak other than the seals directly. [I've seen head gaskets blow out into an oil return and pressurize the engine to blow the seals.] But the seals probably didn't go out all at once of their own accord.

'95 R.R. Classic LWB
'76 Series III Hybrid 109
'70 Rover 3500S