PDA

View Full Version : Heat Shield

printjunky
06-26-2013, 12:46 PM
About to strap on a new exhaust, and have been thinking for some time about what kind of mod might help manage in-cabin heat, reduce Rover Hot Foot, etc.

My first idea was to wrap the manifold, and then the downpipe to somewhere behind the driver's seat. But I pretty much have decided wrapping has too many possible negative outcomes to make me wary. Though ALL anecdotal, there are enough stories of premature rust. Though I'm a bit skeptical about that because how much water is going to remain in a wrap that is at >250 degrees? (In some cases much greater than). But still there are enough anecdotes to raise an eyebrow.

Also, even less well supported, are anecdotes about focusing more heat right at the point where the wrap ends, thus magnifying failure possibilities there, but that doesn't pass a sniff test to me. Safe to assume the entire system is capable of withstanding the highest temp the system will see. ie: right after the thicker part that attaches to the manifold; the heat would be concentrated there in a similar way, and we don't worry about that.

Keep in mind that most people are reporting positive experiences with wrap, but there are a notable number of exceptions, urging some rethinking. (Also, these people usually are not trying so much to reduce cabin temp, as underhood temps and gain HP from scavenging forces. Though the effect would be the same, basically.)

Anywhoo, so thinking of alternatives, I'm thinking a heat shield could be fabbed easily, and inexpensively. I mocked up a quick diagram of something I might try. Also learned a little about thermodynamics in the process or reading about it. Now understand a little more about how the intake manifold-mounted heat shield works ...

(It does put some heat back into the intake manifold, but it's better at RADIATING heat to the air than CONDUCTING it to the intake. The shield radiates heat from the exhaust manifold out into the air at something like 40 times the amount it radiates it back into the intake manifold)

My thoughts on the shield include some kind of (pressed?) standoff and some kind of channel to accommodate stainless wire ties. In aluminum, I'm thinking. Gauge? No idea. Galvanized flashing too flimsy?

So any thoughts, ideas, criticisms of my shadetree science, etc?

Oh, I also plan some in-cabin mods for the same ... coming soon.8379

printjunky
06-26-2013, 12:48 PM
Just for reference, here's an example along similar lines that Flowmaster makes for their mufflers.

http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/?page_id=11248&sub2=Heat%20Shield

Revtor
06-26-2013, 04:34 PM
funny this should come up.. (well with summer temps maybe not such a coincidence..)

I just ordered some thermal wrap for my pipes two days ago, Ill report back how it goes. Hoping to keep the cabin a few degrees cooler for this summer's journey.

another Idea I had was to mount some thin alum on standoffs under the floor around where the pipes run. similar to your idea but on the body as opposed to on the pipe.

also as you have probably seen, there exist many many products that adhere to surfaces and reflect heat very well. Not so sure how well they'd stick to a rovers less than pristine underside though.

~Steve

printjunky
06-26-2013, 05:19 PM
Revtor, the floor mounted shield is definitely viable. But a. I have my floors out way too often for various other things, and some of that heat would be conducted into the floor, and so your foot. I think the net would certainly be LESS heat, but decoupled from the floor would be even less than that.

I'll be interested in your experience with the wrap, as barring the concerns above, that would be optimal.

stomper
06-26-2013, 06:38 PM
The heated floor while a nuisance, does dry the water out once it rains into the Rover, and is thus a great rust preventer. I have a rubber and foam fitted mat system that keeps the floor much cooler.

I think using a combination of a mat system, and a spray on product like lizard skin under the floor boards would be the least intrusive and easiest to set up.

Eric W S
06-27-2013, 01:53 PM
You can also send the exhaust tubes themselves to be coated. Jet hot and the like.

Alternatively, there are noise and heat reducing seat box covers in molded rubber and a set of link mats from Ike would go a lot longer in making your truck more comfortable than screwing around with the exhaust.

jac04
06-28-2013, 01:05 PM
Thermo-Tec makes a clamp-on exhaust heat shield:
http://www.thermotec.com/products/11600-clamp-on-heat-shield.html

LR Max
06-29-2013, 08:41 PM
I wrapped my exhaust header and run the stock exhaust heat shield. This in itself makes a HUGE difference.

Also on the Thermotec stuff, a buddy of mine installed this stuff in his V8 Ex-MOD truck. It is most excellent. Highly recommended. I would go that route for the downpipe and back until you get past the seat box. Should take care of you.

But yeah, its hot-hot in the summer...and not hot enough in the winter. So I just insulate it.