PDA

View Full Version : How to remove generator/dynamo

IIA
05-30-2014, 08:38 PM
I need to remove the dynamo from my IIA this weekend. But I can't figure out where the bolts are!

I've got the Haynes manual but it's not much help. It says to "slacken the two dynamo retaining bolts and the nut on the sliding link...(photo)." I see the nut on top where it can slide in the bracket. But where are the 2 retaining bolts? Is the one in the middle of the pulley one of them? I tried looking underneath and thought I saw a nut next to the terminals.

TeriAnn
05-31-2014, 10:17 AM
I need to remove the dynamo from my IIA this weekend. But I can't figure out where the bolts are!

I've got the Haynes manual but it's not much help. It says to "slacken the two dynamo retaining bolts and the nut on the sliding link...(photo)." I see the nut on top where it can slide in the bracket. But where are the 2 retaining bolts? Is the one in the middle of the pulley one of them? I tried looking underneath and thought I saw a nut next to the terminals.

My Land Rover hasn't had a generator for the last 36 years but my TR4 has had one as recently as 6 years ago, so hopefully I remember.

The front face of your generator has two arms at opposite ends. The top one has a bolt hole that goes opposite the long slot for adjusting the belt tension. The lower arm has a bolt hole as well. That is your front pivot bolt that needs to be removed. On the back end of the generator is a single arm that is inline with the front lower arm. There you will find the rear pivot bolt.

The Haynes manual is barely better than nothing. Maybe that good. I suggest getting the factory owners manual which provides step by step instructions for all the typical maintenance and tune up stuff and the workshop manual that goes into that stuff normal people take to a shop to have done. You will need to learn UK english for some terms but the manuals are quite good.

aleutian06
06-01-2014, 04:17 PM
I just went through this nutroll on my 71 IIA EX MOD. To make a very long story short, I replaced my C40 Dynamo (probably like yours) with an Alternator that looks like the C40 and uses the same mounting brackets. The dynamo has two bolts on the bottom. The best way to access them is from underneath the Rover. You'll need a good flashlight, a good offset box-end wrench and a socket wrench set. Also, pop a couple of 20 mg Lisinopril before you start. An assistant is also helpful. You'll need to first remove the rear connector (D) and the warning light wire hooked to the top of the dynamo. Then undo the adjuster bolt on top. The dynamo will fall towards the engine. Then get underneath and take the remaining bolts off. Take pictures BEFORE you do everything to help you remember how it all goes back together. I've attached a photo of my dynamo taken from underneath. 9791

cedryck
06-02-2014, 11:08 AM
Unless you are in love with the idea of running a dynamo, it is super easy to replace with a more practical alternator. You can get some plans on different series truck pages on what to do. One plan dumps the black voltage reg. box on the firewall. I ran a generator on my ex mod 2a and found it a real PIA. Not so much the dimming lights, but the lack of battery charge, and starting issues it seemed to bring. I installed an ac/delco and fashioned some brackets to use all of the original holes. Cheers.