PDA

View Full Version : Series 2a windscreen re-glazing info needed

chilidavid
08-30-2015, 03:51 PM
I'm planning to re-seal both laminated windscreen panels on my '71 S2a. Does anyone have experience doing this who could provide some insight? Of course, if I break anything, I'll be installing new laminated glass too!

QUESTIONS:

Is the same sealant material to be used on both sides of the glass? That is - on the forward-facing side between glass and frame - as well as on the inside of the glass, between the glass and those screw-mounted metal strips? I read somewhere that only RUBBER should be used on the inside - between the metal mounting strips and the glass. RUBBER strips, as in using thin strips of bicycle tube rubber?

I've encountered different products and I'm not sure what's the best to use. Examples: 1) Our host's product # GT106, a 50' role of Glazing Seal (Windscreen Glazing Putty), 2) 3M's Window Ribbon Sealant, and 3) Butyl seal Putty Tape - which seems to be available in various widths and thicknesses. What's the right product to use?

I do plan on removing the windscreen and finishing the job on a bench.

Any suggestions (or warnings) will be appreciated!

Opabob
08-30-2015, 04:34 PM
I used the glazing putty from our hosts. I just stuck it to the edge of the glass and wrapped around to both sides. This worked pretty well, but I did have a couple of leaks. I wound up getting a tube of silicon glass seal at the local auto parts store and ran it around the outside of the windscreen to stop leaks. The leaks were probably just a result of my clumsiness applying the putty.

jac04
08-30-2015, 08:27 PM
I found that the current glazing from RN is much thinner than what they supplied years ago. The old stuff was thick enough so that all you needed was a strip between the glass and the windscreen frame and it sealed well. With the new stuff, I needed a double layer between the frame & glass. The glazing that RN sells is butyl. You can also use the 3M Window-Weld butyl ribbon. No matter what butyl you use, the key is to get the corners sealed well, especially if you cut the butyl and have seams in the corners. I have always applied the butyl directly to the frame, then set the glass in place.

Take your time, clean everything really well (both the frame and glass), and make sure your hands are clean (or wear gloves) when handling the butyl.

antichrist
09-04-2015, 10:11 AM
When I did mine I just got some stuff on a roll (with backing paper) from a local body shop supply house. If you go in they can fix you up.
I can't remember what it was, it was in the early 80's that I did it.

SalemRover
09-04-2015, 07:25 PM
This is what I used.

Silkaflex (http://www.amazon.com/Sikaflex-Polyurethane-Performance-Elastomeric-Limestone/dp/B00461GOKY)

It does not set fast so you have some work time to get things positioned. I was happy with the results, my wife was disappointed in the laundry that week.

antichrist
09-04-2015, 08:52 PM
I had some time to look at what you found, and I used the 3M Window Ribbon Sealant.

o2batsea
09-07-2015, 03:21 PM
3M windoweld. No leaks ever.