PDA

View Full Version : Breaks loose, LR 109 SIIa 1969

neil.peru
10-08-2015, 06:04 AM
My LR has been sitting for 6+ years without use but I was able to star the car after minor mechanical work and extensive cleaning of the gas tank.

Took the truck for test drive and noticed that the breaks work only after pumping the pedal several times. I bled the lines thru the bleeding ports, first by gravity and then by pumping on the pedal, some air came out but still the truck won't break.

Any advice on the correct way to bleed the air or maybe some other things that need to be check to make the breaks work?.

Thanks,
Neil

Les Parker
10-08-2015, 02:10 PM
Have you tried clamping all 3 flex hoses to see if you have a solid brake pedal? Try that first, if the pedal is solid, release the rear flex hose, test for solid pedal again. If still solid, release RHF then LHF hose and see when the pedal drops the most, indicating where the problem is.
Hope this helps.

SafeAirOne
10-08-2015, 06:04 PM
1) Due to poor design, the 109 front brakes are notoriously difficult to bleed.

2) 109 rear brake shoes must be on correctly or the brakes will require pumping. See: http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/landRoverFAQ/FAQ_rearbrakes.htm

3) All the shoes must be adjusted correctly or the brakes will require pumping:

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5745/22017425826_c1d44acf4f.jpg

I Leak Oil
10-09-2015, 07:06 AM
Try what Les suggested. Clamp one at a time. That will atleast isolate which part of the circuit is causing you grief. Obviously if you clamp a flex line and the pedal feel improves then the problem is down stream of the clamp. Oh, and yes, you may just end up pulling your hair out trying to bleed the brakes as Mark has so joyously pointed out.

Several things can cause what you are describing. Air in the system, incorrectly adjusted shoes, soft flex lines, bad seals in a wheel cylinder or master cylinder, seized wheel cylinder. Even extremely worn drums. First thing you need to do is narrow down the options though.

Even after you fix the brakes your rover will no doubt break again!:p

neil.peru
10-09-2015, 07:36 AM
Thank you all for the advise;
I am enjoying working on my truck,... solving mechanical issues seem to be more doable than a month ago.
Cheers;
Neil

SafeAirOne
10-09-2015, 10:07 AM
,... solving mechanical issues seem to be more doable than a month ago.

Ha! I Bet! How does that saying go?..."Land Rover. Turning drivers into mechanics for over 60 years."

clearcut
10-10-2015, 10:52 AM
I have been trying to get a better brake pedal on my 67 109 with dual cyc in the front with 11 x 3 inch drums

I have replace all parts from drums, line, cyc and what ever. I had Brett in Santa Cruz area due that work.

Things were better but not very safe for me to drive

I used the Rover book, bought the brake line clamps. I had air in all location. I tried the standard pedal method with some air coming out and really no change

I bought a vaccum bleeder. I did not have a air compressor with enough air to make it work. Going to my millwork plant. They need one and have all the air they need

so

I bought a mityvac pressure bleeder. Model MVA6850. It came with many caps, one has to work

MVA804 cap works. Very hard to get on.

I pressure tested, all was good.

Added brake fluid, moved tank into postion.

Next the line broke loose. Brake fluid all over the Fuing place 12 feet into the air

After 2 hours of clean up. Off to lunch and a beer

I fixed the line and started process again.

I used 14 psi per the green book.

Follow the book process

I got air out on every line. Brakes are much better. I feel safe to drive it now around town and on the freeway

Sunday morning I will due the brake line test and try to get more air out of the line(s)

One would get a pressure bleeder, they do work great. I may return one I have to the issue with it.:cool:

josh

clearcut
10-11-2015, 04:30 PM
Pressure Bleed the brakes some more this am

I now a nice firm pedal.

Will due again in 7 days.

josh

neil.peru
10-13-2015, 12:50 PM
Again, thank you all and Rovers North for the help.

Our 1969 S2a is ready to run now (see blue truck on attached photo).
Our next mission is to do some electrical work and then to the beauty salon for new paint, seats and tires.

Will post some more photos when we finish the work.

Cheers;
Neil
11003 11002

Les Parker
10-13-2015, 01:10 PM
Nice place to chill !!