PDA

View Full Version : Over heating

khollesen
11-23-2015, 10:23 AM
I have a 75 series 3 88" Diesel. I recently had the head off machined... all the pistons replaced, new bushings and lifters. Since the work has been done the car smokes (white) and runs very hot almost overheating. For the overheating I have replaced the water pump, some hoses, sending unit and thermostat.

I have tried to adjust the injector pump a bit by rotating, thought it might be a un-burned fuel, does run smoother but still smokes a lot only at idle no smoke once in motion.

If I remove the thermostat it runs right in the middle or lower but there is no heat coming out of the heater.
Not sure what the problem is or what to do next could use some advise.

Kai

SafeAirOne
11-24-2015, 12:06 AM
The injector pump timing is off if you are getting lots of white smoke. You need to find the sweet spot between where the white smoke stops (or is as minimal as possible) and where the knocking under load starts.

There may be air in the cooling system.

khollesen
11-24-2015, 05:53 PM
Thanks, will try to adjust the injector pump, which way do you recommend to turn it? Also, when I am not sure about overheating with all I have done and it being dead center with no thermostat I am not sure about air.

SafeAirOne
11-24-2015, 06:12 PM
Google "injector pump timing land rover 2.25 diesel."

There are a million and one Google results on this topic.