PDA

View Full Version : 5 years and back on the road 68 109 200 tdi conversation

Skookumchuck
05-02-2017, 11:19 PM
Well I finally got the Red Rover back on the road. After 5 long years but WOW what a difference. I bought a 200 tdi disco engine, picker up all the defender parts and got busy. Then life and work got in the way. So last fall I took it on my trailer to a shop owned by a Yorkshire now Canadian me hanic. He normally works on motor bikes, boat motors etc. But I met him while selling a couple loads of Fir house logs. So he told me that he was a trained landrover mechanic during the conversation on log homes. So I brought up my Rover problem and Paul said bring it down and I will do it up for you.

So I went home loaded the Red Rover on a trailer and headed over. Many months stopping by to see nothing done got me depressed after already waiting 4 years. But then I get a call saying it is all done.... happy happy day.

Went over this morning to pick up my son from College and on the way stopped to see the Rover. What a great job. Fitted a P38 power steering pump, fabricated new steering column, fitted the 200 disco manifold and turbo, disco rax and intercooler, moved the battery into the rear tub.

It was so nice I had to go for a test drive. Then off to get the boy. I could not stop thinking of how good it was going to be to have it back and driving that I changed plans went the long way home and picked her up.

What a difference even without a new exhaust, and being a bit noisy I had a blast. I have an Ashcroft transfer case so with the old 2.25 gas engine she had no power going up long hills and would require downshifting on the smallest rise. I was floored by how much power she has now. There is a steep river valley, a mountain pass and many smaller ups and downs between my house and Paul's shop. I never had to shift down!!!!
She just cruised at 65 - 70

I am going to have to do the disk brake conversion next so I can get it stopped..lol

After the new exhaust she is going to be a pleasure. I love my truck but I was going to sell it due to the poor highway and mountain driving performance. But now it is all I can ask for out of a 51 year old.

Today was like Christmas my birthday and honeymoon all wrapped together.12297

Skookumchuck
05-04-2017, 11:53 PM
Quick update, just got the new muffler on and the fuel return line back in the tank. I was spraying diesel all over the highway for 120 miles. anyway I will post pics tomorrow of the work done fitting the Disco motor and the power steering

mrmoose
05-05-2017, 07:21 AM
Sounds great. I bet you thought that those 200TDI must be thirsty motors. There is a lot of fuel comes back on those return lines.

Skookumchuck
05-07-2017, 02:00 PM
Sounds great. I bet you thought that those 200TDI must be thirsty motors. There is a lot of fuel comes back on those return lines.

Truth is I was thinking it was better than the old 2.25 as I basica
lly drove it floored all the time. Now I have lots of pedal left.

Skookumchuck
05-10-2017, 11:43 AM
So had a funny thing happen. Shifted down and gear shift came off in my hand. But the Rover God's smiled as it was only one block from a welding shop. So all is good now12295

Skookumchuck
05-10-2017, 11:46 AM
Here is the fix, had to gring down the weld but all is good and I got home. At least it didn't happen on the top of a mountain 80 miles in the bush1229612296