PDA

View Full Version : Stuck top

PH4
12-27-2007, 08:10 AM
I have undone all the fastners along the windscreen and where the sides connect to the tub on my 109 3 door 1962. I have tried solo to see if I could just get top to show signs of moving but no such luck. Anyone have any tricks for raising top that will not damage it. I was thinking cumberlong(sp?) but really do not want to damage top. I am assuming that after who nows how many years the weatherstripping is not wanting to let go. Any suggestions or experience with this?

Terrys
12-27-2007, 08:15 AM
seven across the top of the winscreen, 4 on an 88 tub, forget how many on the 109 (HT & SWtop differ) I'll bet you're right about the old tub to side panel seal, probably seal on top of windscreen too.

I'm sure you meant Comealong, as in "Come along,dear"; what I hear frequently, when I want to stop and stare at something I want, or, something I was young enough to remember what to do with.

LaneRover
12-27-2007, 08:58 AM
Are there seat in the back? They can sometimes hide bolts that are just behind them - though to be honest I don't know if that is just in a Station wagon!

Unless of course you are just trying to unbolt the very top and not the top with the sides.

Good luck!

Brent

PH4
12-27-2007, 09:02 AM
Not a SW but a 109 regular. I am curious about the four bolts holding the sides. they have nuts on both the topside and the bottom. I just remove the top nuts leaving the bolt sticking up through the hole. I assume the top just lifts up and over these bolts.

scott
12-27-2007, 09:19 AM
first let me say i don't know hard tops but it seems that if you think you removed all the bolts/nuts and if it's not giving at all anywhere than i'd suspect its stuck with maybe some thing the po used to seal. maybe you can start with one end of the windscreen and tap in a small screw driver or putty knife.

jp-
12-27-2007, 09:57 AM
Are you trying to take off the top and rear sides at the same time, or just the top itself?

I would take the top off first and them the sides. The first thing to do is run your finger along the inside of the entire roof edge and make sure that you removed all the bolts. Once you're sure, push up gently at one corner until it breaks free. Work your way around the perimeter starting with the corner that broke free first.

I Leak Oil
12-27-2007, 10:13 AM
Mine also has one bolt on either side of the rear door opening.
JasonT.

Bostonian1976
12-27-2007, 11:51 AM
mine has the two bolts on either side of the rear door as well.

So that makes - 6 (?) along the windshield, 2 total behind driver and passenger side, 1 on each side of the rear door, and 1 on each of the rear corners.

Mine comes up pretty easily - I can't imagine it being all that stuck unless the rubber seals have really gotten glued somehow...

siii8873
12-27-2007, 05:34 PM
I have an 88" and ther are the windscreen bolts, the four on the corners on the back, two at back door (one each side) and one behind the rear seats mid span. When I removed mine originally it was a %^^%$#@ to get off. Try to get a stiff putty knife started somewhere and work your way around with a flat bar. The worse part on mine was the windscreen seal it was like it was glued down. I was little impatient and cracked one glass panel in the process. Wouldn't hesitate to use a razor knife either along the windsceen.

PH4
12-27-2007, 09:54 PM
Thanks for all the responses. It would take a deluge for the top to leak a drop so I suspect it is well adhered to the windscreen and sides. I am taking top and sides off as one unit. Plan to hit it with putty knife and tap of a hammer Saturday morning. In regards to bolts on side, I had two at rear door, two at rear corners, two at front corners, and four our six down the sides. 6 to 8 on windscreen.

daveb
01-11-2008, 01:33 PM
DO NOT REMOVE THE TOP ! You have the only non-leaking LR in the world...

:)

dave

Thanks for all the responses. It would take a deluge for the top to leak a drop

Jeff Aronson
01-11-2008, 03:57 PM
I think everyone else has really caputured what you need to pay attention to; the hidden nuts are inside of the rear corner [one on each side of the door] and along the side panels behind the bench or seat. You need to remove the bottom nuts, at the retaining washers, in each of the corners.

Don't forget the windshield nuts that hold up the rear view mirror, too - I have!

The seals can really degrade in place and the 109" top is really heavy. It takes two people to remove an 88" top, 3 to lift and install it. If you're trying to move the top alone, it just may be too heavy for one person.

Jeff

PH4
01-13-2008, 11:44 PM
I was able to remove it after using a hacksaw to cut the thin metal strips on each door that were underneath the weather stripping. I highly reccomend removing a 109 top with at least three people. In regards to leaks, in both my Rovers I never really get much, if any, leaks from rain. Also, no oil leaks. I believe I am tempting fate with this post but will see over time.