PDA

View Full Version : Need a 2.25L Diesel for series

uralrover
01-26-2008, 06:12 PM
Looking for a series or early 90 2.25/2.5 L diesel to install in my own series before I head back to Iraq, for the wife to be able to use my Series III with. Durability and longivity are the key factors in the need for this. Any one have one or parting out one that I can aquire. Prefer a running engine but as I am a mechanic and located in NY I could probably get it fixed if minor enough within my tight time frame......Please let me know...315-523-5301 Aslo has anyone stuck a 2.5 NA into there series III? How much fun was that? Other then wirring what other headaches do I need to consider....
Thank You.

leafsprung
01-26-2008, 06:23 PM
Durability and longivity are the key factors in the need for this

Thats probably the last reason to want a 2.25/2.5 diesel (or any rover diesel). SIII installation should be a snap. Change the RH engine mount. Wiring is not a headache at all . . .there is one wire for the glow plugs and one for the fuel solenoid. Fuel return lines etc. Rewiring your cold start lamp as a glow plug indicator is a nice touch. Really a simple swap.

SalemRover
01-27-2008, 07:06 AM
I just put a 2.5 diesel into a LHD SIII. However it was not originally out of a defender but from a work van in the UK that used a Rover Engine. The differences between the two are the timing belt/cover assembly, injector pipes and injector location. The biggest complaint on the 15J is the timing cover is not waterproof, and it is a very fair and accurate complaint. Other than that everything else is a rover 2.5. There were several iterations of the rover 2.5 and are distinguished by the serial starting numbers. the 12J is the standard 2.5 diesel and the 15J is the Sherpa Variant. The 12J does require that you move the engine mount and the battery is relocated to under the drivers LH seat(just like a defender). The 15J does not need the motor mount moved and plops into the SIII motor mounts. Wiring is a breeze with the hardest bit being the relocation of the battery. Hope this helps.

-Jason

junkyddog11
01-27-2008, 07:21 AM
Standard Rover 2.5 (12J?) does not require battery relocation.

leafsprung
01-27-2008, 09:31 AM
Matts right, you can retain the battery location, but it does require a revised support bracket for the left rear leg of the battery tray as it rest on the engine mount. I made a new bracket and removeable tray to ease pulling the engine on the last one I did, but its in the same spot.

c-delta
01-27-2008, 10:43 AM
Uralrover,
after all is said and done if you do decide to go with the Series 2.25D
I have one 4-sale. The head was cleaned-up (have receipts) and have
a brand-new Series 2.25D wiring harness to go with it.
Never reinstalled

$600.00 trans/transfer go with it
Toledo Ohio area

I too got another deployment rearing it's ugly head.

Bob

Jim-ME
01-27-2008, 02:46 PM
I'm confused, what is wrong with a 2.25 or 2.5 Rover diesel as far as longevity is concerned?
Jim

leafsprung
01-27-2008, 06:48 PM
they dont last very long

Tim Smith
01-27-2008, 09:34 PM
they dont last very long
Neither will this thread. :p

Grover73
01-27-2008, 10:10 PM
C-Delta,

Is the engine that you have in bits? or is it all put together? any history on it? Thanks, Ryan

junkyddog11
01-28-2008, 05:45 AM
they dont last very long

I'd agree with that as far as the 2.25 is concerned, but the 2.5na seems to go for quite some time without issue....although I'd be the first to admit to being no expert, those that I've taken down for inspection have been in great shape even with high miles. They are heavy smokers though.

c-delta
01-28-2008, 06:08 AM
Grover,
the 2.25 still has the head off.
Got it off a guy in Indy that swapped it for a 2.25P. It had a blown
head gasket that I still have and you can see.
Have a compete gasket set to go with it. Now I can put the head back on
but you might look at the pistons,walls and top end.

Had one of these dinosaurs in a 109SW it was fun around town but on
the Hwy it turned out to be a hazard (45-50max).
I purchase this one for a back-up.

Like to get it out of here.
and this is one heavy engine as you might know--for shipping.

Bob

yorker
01-28-2008, 11:44 AM
Ahhh that sounds like the one that was on eBay a while back.

c-delta
01-28-2008, 07:34 PM
No-Ahhh about it Yorker
lets get the facts straight not this 2.25D.
don't know what your getting at on this one.

No disrespect intended.

Bob

yorker
01-28-2008, 10:11 PM
Well there was one for sale in Indy on eBay- I don't remember if it sold or not. The fellow mentioned in a message to me that he thought it had a blown head gasket or something it had new or redone head, rebuilt injectors and pump- someone spent a whole lot of money on that engine. I'm not trying to "Get at" anything.

uralrover
01-30-2008, 04:17 PM
I have a great deal of experience working on series and Defender Land Rovers while overseas and have come to regard the 2.25 as probably one of the most reliable but wholly underpowered engines ever built. I had half the problems with them that I ever had with the 300TDI. That being said I have plans to rebuild one of my motors with some upgrades that I have learned about while working on heavy equipment for the Army, but; while I work out theses changes I still would rather have one in my own rover (as would my wife who's from a foriegn country where diesel is more readily available then gas) then my daarn high maintenance gas engine.....

c-delta
02-01-2008, 06:46 AM
Mak,
this will work. You can rack-out here for a few hrs sleep if you like.
If my son makes it down here this weekend he can help me with the
pic on line...don't have the hang of this new camera yet.

I don't know if I mentioned it but I have a new Series 2.25D wiring
harness to go with it and let you have some other pits...scotti adapter
new clutch and pressure plate.... just like to get rid of it. Can't move
around in this garage.

and let your financial adviser know you can have it for $500.
Your deployment with combat pay is not enough.

Bob