X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NC Rover
    2nd Gear
    • Dec 2007

2.5L Weber Carb Question (pics)....

So I came across a part on the carb that was loose. Unscrewed it and realized that the previous owner had put a lot of white sealant tape to keep it in as the treads don't match...the removed part (with male end) threads are smaller in circumference than the carb (female end). **Note in the pictures below, I have already removed the old white sealant tape from the threads and cleaned the needle.

I've had problems lately with the rover running too rich and sputtering...like its getting too much air, however I cannot find an air mixture screw anywhere on the exterior of the carb to adjust while the engine is running.

Can anyone tell me what part this is and what it effects? When I first exposed the needle, it had grey gunk crusted up all over it. I cleaned the needle really good as well as inside the removed part.

You can see the needle inside that is spring loaded. Does this automatically adjust the air misture? Sorry for the noob questions. Learning as I go. Just re-adjusted all the valves on my own so I'm coming along.

1971 Series IIa Hybrid: 2.5L MILSPEC 5-Main Bearing Engine|Turner Engineering Performance Head w/ oversized hardened steel valves & phase shift/increased lift cam|LT77 Tranny/LT230 Transfer Case|11mm Ignition Wires/Super Coil|Jacobs Ignition/Petronix Ignitor|D90 Axles|Galvy Frame|Old Man Emu Coils|Cust Rear/Side Fuel Tanks|Cust Drive Shafts|
  • Andrew IIA
    3rd Gear
    • Feb 2008

Your carb looks a lot like my Weber 32/34 DMTL on my IIA. I think the gizmo is a spark arrestor. If I disconnect mine it will run like crap and/or stall. I'll take look at mine afer work today and get back to you. There is a difficult-to-find adjustment screw, but I can't remember if it adjusts mixture or slow-idle speed. I'll report on that too.
    Best regards, Andrew
    Andrew
    '63 SIIA 88" SW

http://hungrynaturalist.blogspot.com/

Rover Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/skunkal...7610584998247/

Comment

• sven
      1st Gear
      • Dec 2006

That is definitely a 32/34 DMTL.

Mixture screw is facing the front of the truck. If you're looking at it, it would be all the way on the right side at the base. You need a tiny/thin flathead screwdriver to adjust.
      Last edited by sven; 12-08-2008, 01:02 PM.
      99 D1
      73 Series III 88"
      95 RRC LWB

Comment

• NC Rover
        2nd Gear
        • Dec 2007

Originally posted by sven
        That is definitely a 32/34 DMTL.

Mixture screw is facing the front of the truck. If you're looking at it, it would be all the way on the right side at the base. You need a tiny/thin flathead screwdriver to adjust.
        awesome. Thank you. I will look for it tonight. I'm still curious as to why the threads don't match (male end is way smaller in circumference than the female end) on the part I removed....
        1971 Series IIa Hybrid: 2.5L MILSPEC 5-Main Bearing Engine|Turner Engineering Performance Head w/ oversized hardened steel valves & phase shift/increased lift cam|LT77 Tranny/LT230 Transfer Case|11mm Ignition Wires/Super Coil|Jacobs Ignition/Petronix Ignitor|D90 Axles|Galvy Frame|Old Man Emu Coils|Cust Rear/Side Fuel Tanks|Cust Drive Shafts|

Comment

• NC Rover
          2nd Gear
          • Dec 2007

The 4th picture down from the top is a picture of the carb facing the front of the vehicle. Is the air mixture screw visiable in the picture? I swear I looked this carb over and couldn't find an air mixture screw.

Also, does anyone have a diagram of this particular carb?

Comment

• sven
            1st Gear
            • Dec 2006

Originally posted by NC Rover
            The 4th picture down from the top is a picture of the carb facing the front of the vehicle. Is the air mixture screw visiable in the picture?
            Its below that orange wire. You cant see it in the pic but the screw is recessed into the base of the carb.

I attaced a pdf for ya, hope that helps.
            99 D1
            73 Series III 88"
            95 RRC LWB

Comment

• Andrew IIA
              3rd Gear
              • Feb 2008

Here the pic to go with Sven's diagram. Its sort of hidden; slot-head screw. Hmm.... your carb's a lot cleaner than mine .

Thanks for the diagram Sven, I didn't have a copy of that.

Best regards, Andrew
              '63 SIIA 88"
              Andrew
              '63 SIIA 88" SW

Comment

• NC Rover
                2nd Gear
                • Dec 2007

Its below that orange wire. You cant see it in the pic but the screw is recessed into the base of the carb.

I attaced a pdf for ya, hope that helps.
                Thanks for the diagram. That helps. However I'm not seeing the part I removed in the diagram...the part that is right next to the fuel line entrance.

I'm going to try and clean the jets in the carb as well as adjust that screw and see what I can come up with.

Comment

• NC Rover
                  2nd Gear
                  • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Andrew IIA
                  Here the pic to go with Sven's diagram. Its sort of hidden; slot-head screw. Hmm.... your carb's a lot cleaner than mine .

Thanks for the diagram Sven, I didn't have a copy of that.

Best regards, Andrew
                  '63 SIIA 88"
                  Ok the big thing in the top left of your picture with the wire coming out of it....what is the official name for this part of the Carb and what is its function/purpose?

For some reason mine will not stay in..it keeps falling out. Is it suppose to screw in place?

Comment

• Andrew IIA
                    3rd Gear
                    • Feb 2008

Hmm. Don't know the name for that and I agree its not in the diagram (we'll call it gizmo for now). the wire runs from the gizmo to the solenoid for the fuel shut-off valve, a safety thing. I think that if there's a fire (or fuel overflow ?) the gizmo's internal thingy moves/slides and disrupts the electrical contact with the fuel shut-off solenoid (thus activating it). I don't know what holds mine in place as I've never had to remove it.

Let us know what you learn

Andrew
                    Andrew
                    '63 SIIA 88" SW

Comment

• sven
                      1st Gear
                      • Dec 2006

The 32/34 that I worked on didnt have those solenoids.

Contact these guys for any weber parts. This was the only place in the US that had brand new 32/34 webers. They also carry all the parts, jets, kits, etc.

99 D1
                      73 Series III 88"
                      95 RRC LWB

Comment

• NC Rover
                        2nd Gear
                        • Dec 2007

Contact these guys for any weber parts. This was the only place in the US that had brand new 32/34 webers. They also carry all the parts, jets, kits, etc.

http://www.piercemanifolds.com/
                        I checked this site and didn't see any 32/34 DMTL. I only saw 32/36. Did you say a brand new one was listed on the site? Any idea how much they run?

Comment

• NC Rover
                          2nd Gear
                          • Dec 2007

I meant to ask....do you guys know which jets go to which hole since they are all different? I'm wondering if the previous owner took them out and replaced them in the wrong order? How would I know if they are in the wrong order? I remember someone mentioning about certain numbers on the sides of the jets. Any idea which numbered jets go to which corner of the carb?

EDIT: I took out each jet one by one from front to back and cleaned them. Also wrote down the number on each:

Front to back:
                          Jet 1 = 52
                          Jet 2 = F-30
                          Jet 3 = F-39
                          Jet 4 = 6U

Anyone know if these are in the correct order?

Comment

• Terrys
                            Overdrive
                            • May 2007

Originally posted by Andrew IIA
                            Hmm. Don't know the name for that and I agree its not in the diagram (we'll call it gizmo for now). the wire runs from the gizmo to the solenoid for the fuel shut-off valve, a safety thing. I think that if there's a fire (or fuel overflow ?) the gizmo's internal thingy moves/slides and disrupts the electrical contact with the fuel shut-off solenoid (thus activating it). I don't know what holds mine in place as I've never had to remove it.

Let us know what you learn

Andrew
                            The solinoid is an anti-detonation valve. It's intended purpose is to prevent run-on after the key is shut off. I hate that carb. I have never seen one jetted correctly for a 2 1/4 LR engine.

Comment

• Rineheitzgabot
                              4th Gear
                              • Jun 2008

http://www.piercemanifolds.com/
                              Mr. and Mrs. Pierce were the previous owners of my Bugeye. It's actually shown in their gallery on their website (on page 5, if your interested ).

This may be why mine runs so damn good. I think the Pierce people understand the Weber and all it's idiosynchrasies, pretty well.

Again, I love me Weber.
                              "I can't believe I'm sitting here, completely surrounded by no beer!" -Onslow

Comment

Working...