PDA

View Full Version : Silent Horn

Andrew IIA
03-06-2009, 03:05 PM
Howdy Group,

The horn in my IIA quit today; actually I noticed it today but it may have been dead for a while (it almost never gets used). I wouldn't really care but it needs to work to get an inspection sticker.

So, what the easiest way to figure out if its the button/switch or the horn itself that is misbehaving ?

Thanks, Andrew
'63 SIIA 88"

SafeAirOne
03-06-2009, 03:17 PM
So, what the easiest way to figure out if its the button/switch or the horn itself that is misbehaving ?

I'd just take the positive wire off the horn (presuming you've got a negative earth rover) and run a jumper wire from the positive terminal on the horn to the positive battery terminal. If the horn is properly grounded and functioning, the horn will beep. Again, make sure horn is adequately grounded or else you may buy a replacement horn for no reason.

alaskajosh
03-06-2009, 03:35 PM
I wouldn't really care but it needs to work to get an inspection sticker.

The first thing I would do is relocate the faulty horn... OUT OF STATE!!!
My mind is reeling at the thought of horn cops!

Kind regards, Josh

lew_sa
03-06-2009, 05:57 PM
Just had to repair my horn to pass state inspection last weekend. After ensuring the horn itself still worked, I traced the circuit. My problem ended up being that the spring loaded contact that rotates around a copper sleeve on the steering column as you turn the steering wheel wore out. Bent it down a little and fixed the problem.

R/,
Lew

KevinNY
03-06-2009, 08:14 PM
Get one of those big 18 wheeler air horns Andrew, no one will expect it!

Andrew IIA
03-07-2009, 07:10 AM
Thanks everyone. I will investigate it today and report back :thumb-up:

Jeff Aronson
03-07-2009, 07:22 AM
Good advice from everyone here. Maine inspection requires a working horn, too.

The horn circuit is always "live." What the horn contact button does is actually operate as a switch, to complete the hron circuit.

Do check if the horn itself actually works. Run a wire from the positive [if negative ground] post of the battery to a horn contact - try each one. If you have a working horn, the horn will beep when you get current from the battery.

Do unbolt the horn from its bracket and clean all the contacts and the brackets/bolts. Try the horn again, this time directly to the battery.

If it doesn't work, replace it [I have replaced two, one on the Land Rover and one on an MGB]. I have also been fooled before, almost buying a new bolt when the problem were under the steering wheel.

If you take a thin pry blade [a flathead screwdriver] you can pry out the horn button rim off the steering wheel. When you have it off, you'll see the contacts under the rim hub and one under the nut that holds the steering wheel in place. Bending them to assure proper contact might help. There's also a wire on a spade connector that assures electricity between the horn button and the inner copper contact. Make certain that wire is not cut.

If none of this works, then you're going to have to trace the wiring using a schematic diagram.

Good luck and let us know.

Jeff

Andrew IIA
03-07-2009, 08:49 AM
Okay, using everyone's excellent advice it was easy to determine that the horn-unit itself is dead :thumb-up:. Truck inspection not due for another month so not a crisis (for now).

Thanks gang.

Best Regards, Andrew
'63 SIIA 88"

Andrew IIA
03-07-2009, 03:26 PM
Follow up: here is the dead horn. It was not quite what I expected :eek:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3588/3336399628_983c751332_o.jpg

alaskajosh
03-07-2009, 04:13 PM
Careful buddy!! You know my kids might be reading this site!! ;) ;)

Glad you're getting it sorted-- Josh

LaneRover
03-07-2009, 05:51 PM
Ah yes the Victorian Industrial age version of what is now known as Silicone Implants.