• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jac04
    Overdrive
    • Feb 2007

Lucas 45D Distributor O-Ring

Just in case anyone else has run into this issue:
    The Lucas 45D distributor is sealed with an o-ring where it enters the engine. I contacted our hosts, who couldn't find a listing on the o-ring and told me that the cork seal would work (which it doesn't). A standard 2-021 o-ring seems to fit, but the cross-section is .070" and doesn't provide enough compression to seal properly. I ended up purchasing a pack of 50 Buna-N o-rings in the correct metric size (M2 x 23.5, .079" cross-section) to fit the 45D distributor.

If anyone needs an o-ring and would like to make a small donation, pm me. I have a few to spare.
  • 83lee
    Low Range
    • May 2008

I had the same trouble with my Lucas 25D distributor.

RN sold me the cork gasket, but it does not fit. Looks like an O-ring should go into the groove at the top of the distributor shaft housing (where it plugs into the triangular piece).

Anybody know the real story on this?

Comment

• jac04
      Overdrive
      • Feb 2007

There is definitely supposed to be an o-ring in that groove. The 25D and 45D should use the same o-ring.
      Check out:

Comment

• SafeAirOne
        Overdrive
        • Apr 2008

Originally posted by jac04
        If anyone needs an o-ring and would like to make a small donation, pm me. I have a few to spare.
        I wonder if Bostonian1976 (Jason) would be interested, since oil squirts out of his distributor shaft hole and gets all over his engine bay? Perhaps this (non-listed) missing o-ring was his problem all along...
        --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
        (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Comment

• 83lee
          Low Range
          • May 2008

Sure enough, your diagram shows the o-ring.

The round cork ring (RN part #52278) does seem to drop into the hole in the triangle housing. I wonder if both the rubber and the cork together are how it was designed to be?

Comment

• jac04
            Overdrive
            • Feb 2007

^ No, because the distributor that uses the cork seal has a recess for the cork seal to sit in. The 45D doesn't have this recess, so the dist will sit too high if the cork seal is installed.

Comment

• alaskantinbender
              Low Range
              • Dec 2012

Originally posted by jac04
              Just in case anyone else has run into this issue:
              The Lucas 45D distributor is sealed with an o-ring where it enters the engine. I contacted our hosts, who couldn't find a listing on the o-ring and told me that the cork seal would work (which it doesn't). A standard 2-021 o-ring seems to fit, but the cross-section is .070" and doesn't provide enough compression to seal properly. I ended up purchasing a pack of 50 Buna-N o-rings in the correct metric size (M2 x 23.5, .079" cross-section) to fit the 45D distributor.

Reviving an old post. Does anyone have a part number or listing for the proper O ring? I cant seem to find it with the info already posted.

Thankyou
              1963 Series 11A 109, Left hand drive, Koneg PTO winch, ACR 2.8L 5 bearing power plus Engine with weber carb. Truetrac gear driven limited-slip traction rear differential.

Comment

• roverp480
                3rd Gear
                • Jul 2020

Try 513682A https://usa.minisport.com/513682a-di...er-o-ring.html

Comment

• alaskantinbender
                  Low Range
                  • Dec 2012

Thank you. Now I need to find it locally in the USA so I don't need to sell a kidney for shipping.
                  1963 Series 11A 109, Left hand drive, Koneg PTO winch, ACR 2.8L 5 bearing power plus Engine with weber carb. Truetrac gear driven limited-slip traction rear differential.

Comment

Working...