PDA

View Full Version : To use or not

Pete
12-12-2009, 08:39 AM
When reasembling items do you use: gasket, gasket and rtv sealent, or just rtv sealent (gasket maker)?

Pete

kevkon
12-12-2009, 09:15 AM
That really depends on what the nature of the two mating surfaces in question are and their condition, what the gasket is made of and it's "crush" , and whether the seal is to be permanent. There are other choices besides RTV silicone, as well.
Bottom line is that RTV silicone is a great product but it should only be used in the proper situations and very judiciously. Too many times I find this stuff where it absolutely doesn't belong.

kevin-ct
12-12-2009, 11:16 AM
More RTV is not better...Less is more. :D

thixon
12-13-2009, 06:02 PM
personally, I'm much bigger fan of hylomar (blue non setting to be exact), rather than rtv. Worth the money IMO.

SafeAirOne
12-13-2009, 06:35 PM
If there is a paper gasket made for the part, I'll use it along with non-hardening gasket sealant (not RTV).

rwollschlager
12-13-2009, 06:56 PM
When reasembling items do you use: gasket, gasket and rtv sealent, or just rtv sealent (gasket maker)?

Pete

x2 on the hylomar. It was recommended to me by Les and others at this years All Metal Dash Rally. It never fully hardens. Apply a light smear to both sides of the paper gasket and wipe off excess. I've heard if done correctly, you should be able to re-use your gaskets after they've been hylomar'ed (riverport rovers).

I've heard the RTV for Ford has similar properties.

-Rob