X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bear7343
    Low Range
    • Apr 2010

Fuel can mounting

I would like to mount two fuel cans to the sides of my series III 88 and mount a hi-lift jack on the right rear bumperette. Any advice on how to mount the fuel cans without ruining the bed? Or alternative locations? I plan to take the top off all summer so a roof rack is not an option.
  • Jim-ME
    Overdrive
    • Oct 2006

You may or may not find this useful. I have one of Ike Goss's receiver hitches. I am in the process of having a fuel can carrier built that will slide into the receiver tube. It will hold 3 cans plus my high-lift jack. I am going this route because I do not want to mount anything permanently. I did buy a hitch clamp called a Hitch Vise to try to minimize the rattling of the carrier once installed. I will post pictures once it is built but it may be a while yet before it is finished.
    Jim

Comment

• scott
      Overdrive
      • Oct 2006

right now my jerry can carriers are just bolted to the tailgate. i hate this as i have to pull off the cans when full to drop my gate. i made a shelf from 3" angle iron that is bolted on using the rt grab handle and the far rt tub to rear xmber bolts. my jack is mounted to the far right of this shelf and is anchored higher up by a bracket that fits under my canvas and over the top of the capping on the rear of the tube. eventually i will add a swing away can holder that is hinged to the shelf and the upper bracket.
      '64 Series IIA 88 Canvas Tilt
      '68 Series IIA RHD Ambulance
      '76 Spitfire 1500
      '07 LR3 (Series Recovery Vehicle)

Comment

• Cutter
        4th Gear
        • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Jim-ME
        You may or may not find this useful. I have one of Ike Goss's receiver hitches. I am in the process of having a fuel can carrier built that will slide into the receiver tube. It will hold 3 cans plus my high-lift jack. I am going this route because I do not want to mount anything permanently. I did buy a hitch clamp called a Hitch Vise to try to minimize the rattling of the carrier once installed. I will post pictures once it is built but it may be a while yet before it is finished.
        Jim
        This sounds like a great solution, please do post pics when complete.

Comment

• Firemanshort
          2nd Gear
          • Nov 2006

I have thought about crafting something up like that but I fear that it would not fit true enough to the receiver hitch and wobble and vibrate too much. I also fear it would be noisy and it clunked around.

Show up your design and give us some field test results.
          Firemanshort
          1980 Stage One
          (Past owner of 1973 Series III - Highlander)

Comment

• ArlowCT
            2nd Gear
            • Jul 2008

That sort of play in a hitch can easily drive a man nuts.

Best way to fix this that I have found it to drill and tap a hole in the female part of the hitch and thread a bolt into it. When you put your trailer hitch, bike rack, or Jerry can holder into the receiver a few quick turns of this bolt will keep everything nice and tight.

Comment

• yorker
              Overdrive
              • Nov 2006

Originally posted by bear7343
              I would like to mount two fuel cans to the sides of my series III 88 and mount a hi-lift jack on the right rear bumperette. Any advice on how to mount the fuel cans without ruining the bed? Or alternative locations? I plan to take the top off all summer so a roof rack is not an option.

You want to mount jerricans to the outside of the body on the sides? Kind of like how the old Willys jeeps had their spare mounted there? That kind of sucks on some wooded trails.

You could mount cans on top of the bumperettes if you lower them, IIRC that is how the Australian Army did it at times.
              1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

Comment

• crankin
                5th Gear
                • Jul 2008

You could take the jerry can holder itself and fabricate some very long "Z" brackets that goes under the jerry can holder's base > runs whatever height you want it to sit at along the side of the bed > then runs over the frame of the bed.

To secure the jerry can: (1) You could either drill out the exisiting pop rivets on the top of the bed rail and use the exisiting holes to pop rivet the "Z" bracket into place. (2) drill new holes to pop rivet or bolt the "Z" brackets into place. (3) hope that the weight of the roof along with the roof tighten down will keep the brakets from sliding left and right.

To stop the jerry cans from rubbing the paint off....go pick up some closed cell foam from you local hardware store (closed cell so that it will not hold water) and apply it to the sides of the brackets that will touch the paint.

With the bracekts riding on the top of the bed...you could move it anywhere along the bed you wanted...inside the cab or outside!

Birmabright Brotherhood

Take the vow, join the brotherhood!

Clint Rankin - 1972 SIII SWB

Comment

• crankin
                  5th Gear
                  • Jul 2008

My friend Google was so kind to find this link for me:

Where it mentions a guy by the name of Ron Ogomori who made a heavy duty custom swing-away jerry can carrier that can carry 20 gallons of spare fuel each.

I asked Google if he knew of a Ron Ogomori who owned a 4X4 Fabricating in Sun Valley, California...but he didn't. However, on this same page it had mention of our very own TeriAnn. If anyone is interested in this setup...maybe she can point you in the right direction (sometimes I think TeriAnn is better than Google anyways).

Birmabright Brotherhood

Comment

• yorker
                    Overdrive
                    • Nov 2006

some examples from Oz.

H2O:

Rear mounts which double as bumperettes:

Land Rover UK Forums

Comment

• jrd51ox
                      1st Gear
                      • Mar 2009

bump

Comment

• crankin
                        5th Gear
                        • Jul 2008

"bump" What?! There are some crazy good ideas rolling around in here!

I can't think of anything else that might work other than to glue some super magnets onto the jerry can holders and than stick another magnet on the inside of the tub.

Birmabright Brotherhood

Comment

• PavementEnds
                          Low Range
                          • Feb 2010

Texas credit card

Ok, understand about the top off in summer, but fuel on top has its advantages, esp if you happen to have a Texas credit card (5' of 1/2" plastic hose) for the fuel transfer as seen in attached photo of my crew in Ethiopia (sorry about the Toyota but LRs are not common there).

Comment

• TeriAnn
                            Overdrive
                            • Nov 2006

Originally posted by crankin
                            I asked Google if he knew of a Ron Ogomori who owned a 4X4 Fabricating in Sun Valley, California...but he didn't. However, on this same page it had mention of our very own TeriAnn. If anyone is interested in this setup...maybe she can point you in the right direction (sometimes I think TeriAnn is better than Google anyways).
                            That's what I get for getting around to reading this thread.

Ron used to make the roof racks that British Pacific sold. He is the one who constructed the pickup top/Dormobile roof rack that I designed and British Pacific sold (The prototype is seen in my Dormobile's pictures and production versions can be seen on pictures of both of Nick's Dormobiles that he took around the world). In addition to this he designed and manufactured a rear mounted swing away that held four 20L jerry cans (also sold through British Pacific). Nick Baggerly purchased two of them, one for each of his two Dormobiles and took them around the world.

Here's a picture of the four can carrier opened out during a trip Nick and I took through the Mojave.

Sorry, it is the best picture of the rack I have of that rack.

Ron also made a two can version that held two 20L jerry cans, a spare tyre and a hi-lift jack.

Linus & I leaving the coral pink sand dune state park. The rear rack is on the back of Linus's Dormobile.

Below, picture of the rack open during overnight camp in Monument Valley.

Sorry but I never specifically photographed either type of rear swing away rack

Anyway the roof racks and rear swing aways went out of production when Ron got married. His new wife insisted that he get a job with a steady income and I believe they moved to Hawaii.
                            -

Teriann Wakeman_________
                            Flagstaff, AZ.

1960 Land Rover Dormobile, owned since 1978

My Land Rover web site

Comment

• yorker
                              Overdrive
                              • Nov 2006

Originally posted by bear7343
                              I would like to mount two fuel cans to the sides of my series III 88
                              FWIW:

Land Rover UK Forums

Comment

Working...