X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ShootingCar
    Low Range
    • Jan 2008

A spare tire mounting Jerry Can rack?

I have been thinking about this for my 88. I like the idea of the receiver hitch mounted rack that would swing away, as I have one of Ike's mounted on mine. But I was thinking that could someone fabricate a one or two Jerry can rack to be bolted to the back door of a hard top on the spare tire bolts. In my case, my spare is up on the bonnet. But I still have the spare mounting bolts, etc. on the back door. If someone could make a rack that would be like a rectangular cage that the jerry cans dropped into from the top and had locking lids on the top with the spare tire bolt mounting plates. Would that work. I don't know what the difference in weight of one or two full jerry cans versus a spare. In my case, I have the third hinge on my back door. On my truck when I run a soft top, my tailgate is hinged on the right side, so this rack could be bolted onto it to swing out. Would this work? I am thinking one of these shop, such as Zuni or Pangolin could make these.
    Jeff
    Jeff Pearl
    1969 SIIa 88 ECR Coil Spring Conversion
    North Central AZ

Comment

• solihull109
      1st Gear
      • May 2007

Originally posted by ShootingCar
      I have been thinking about this for my 88. I like the idea of the receiver hitch mounted rack that would swing away, as I have one of Ike's mounted on mine. But I was thinking that could someone fabricate a one or two Jerry can rack to be bolted to the back door of a hard top on the spare tire bolts. In my case, my spare is up on the bonnet. But I still have the spare mounting bolts, etc. on the back door. If someone could make a rack that would be like a rectangular cage that the jerry cans dropped into from the top and had locking lids on the top with the spare tire bolt mounting plates. Would that work. I don't know what the difference in weight of one or two full jerry cans versus a spare. In my case, I have the third hinge on my back door. On my truck when I run a soft top, my tailgate is hinged on the right side, so this rack could be bolted onto it to swing out. Would this work? I am thinking one of these shop, such as Zuni or Pangolin could make these.
      Jeff

While, that seems like an okay idea. I do not feel that the rear door hinges need any additional weight added to them. I personally would not build one this way, but maybe someone else might. The area just doesn't have enough support (in stock form) to handle the extra abuse over time, but that's just my take.
      knowledge without experience is just information.... Mark Twain

www.downeastcoachworks.com

Comment

Working...