PDA

View Full Version : Third Brake Light

amcordo
05-16-2010, 05:37 PM
Anyone figure out a third brake light setup that looks OK?

bobzinak
05-16-2010, 09:36 PM
look at the hella "3106 series" led stoplight bars from HELLA. they surface mount so you could stick it above the back door. draw very little current. come with a really long wiring. simple to install. no need for worrying about if the rover wiring would handle it. simple, clean.. bobzinak.

mongoswede
05-16-2010, 10:24 PM
There are quite a few LED brake strips on the market these days that can be mounted almost anywhere and are hardly noticeable until they turn on. This might be a good way to get some extra brake light attention...there is the added benefit that LED's last a long time (longer then your rover probably) and draw minimal amounts of current.

crankin
05-21-2010, 11:08 PM
Forgot about ole Nick from over the pond...
http://www.nickslandrover.co.uk/archives/1112

kevkon
05-22-2010, 09:14 AM
It might be more useful on a Series to have a Accelerator Light:D That probably being what catches more people by surprise.

jgkmmoore
05-22-2010, 05:11 PM
So I made one today out of an old mercury switch. Tested it in the Suburban first, and it worked fine. Then moved it to my 109 Trop SW with a mature 2.25 petrol. Couldn't activate it, even on a steep uphill slope. Strange, because 'shotgun' riders have always been inordinately frightened by the 109....and I assumed it was the sheer speed and hard acceleration that would distort their jowls.
So....took a neighbor for a short ride. Watched him closely, and discovered the jowl distortion was caused by scowling. Hmmmmm......
0-60 time: not recorded. Flat road, no tailwind...never made it. 58.9 in 4 min 11 sec.
Regards-Jeff:p

kevkon
05-23-2010, 01:08 PM
Your mistake was choosing a mecury switch. For a Series something like a hour glass would be better to respond to the abrupt change in speed.