tranmission troubles?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • roveroffroader

tranmission troubles?

I have to manully shift my automatic trans. got worse though....had a big clunk and it wouldn't move. after trying moving hi lo shift i put it in reverse and got it to move . so any way it sits next to my garage .....frowning...anyone got any ideas?........excluding driving techniqes.....
  • rocky
    Low Range
    • Jan 2007

the need to manually shift your tranny tells me that you need a new one.

Comment

• luckyjoe
      3rd Gear
      • Oct 2006

Read through this site http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/faq.html to see if you see a symptom match. If you do, you will see a fault explanation. Ashcroft is in the UK, but they are experts with the ZF.

You will essentially have three transmission options (from most-to-least expensive):
      1. New
      2. Rebuilt
      3. Used

If you have a good, ZF-competent shop near you, the rebuild might be a good option, but IMHO generic rebuilds are questionable (what exactly did they do?). So locating a good, low-mileage, used transmission quickly becomes the desired option. That's what I decided to do. If you're handy with a wrench and work on your rover, you can do the swap yourself saving a lot of money. If you go down that road I can give you some pointers from when I swapped my ZF...

Regards,
      Last edited by luckyjoe; 01-29-2007, 08:31 PM.
      Tom P.
      1965 exMoD 109
      1995 RRC LWB w/EAS

Comment

• singingcamel
        4th Gear
        • Oct 2006

need more info.. does it not shift at all? if you can manually shift it,and it works it may be a stuck kickdown table.
        had one that would'nt shift into 4th due to a stuck cable. look behind you linkage..

Comment

Working...