X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • msmith1
    Low Range
    • Feb 2012

Disco II Tire size question

My 2004 Disco II is rated for 255/55/18's. Would a 285/60/18 fit without a lift? Also, does anyone have any suggestions on a type/brand of tire for a replacement AT tire?
    Matt
    04 Discovery II
    04 Volvo XC70
  • bkreutz
    4th Gear
    • Apr 2010

The PO had installed 285/60/18's on mine, I didn't like them, the speedo was way off (indicated 50 MPH and I was passing everyone on the freeway), also everything looked too close for comfort. I only drove it on the street for a couple of weeks before I replaced them. I would almost bet (almost, but I didn't want to try) that any offroading would have resulted in contact somewhere in the fenderwell. I replaced them with 265/60/18 Yokohama Geolander AT and have had not clearance issues (and the speedo is only 2 MPH off at 60MPH)
    Gale Breitkreutz
    '03 Disco
    '74 Series III 88 (sold, 4/13)
    '47 CJ2A

Comment

• ThePhotographer
      4th Gear
      • Sep 2011

I have 265/75/R16 on mine and my spedo is crazy off. If I'm going 65 according to the spedo I'm really going about 75.
      Zack Griswold
      Photos/Sales
      http://i.imgur.com/z2wLIw6.jpg - 1995 300Tdi Disco 5 Speed

Comment

• msmith1
        Low Range
        • Feb 2012

How do you like the geolanders? I am also looking at firestone destination a/t and duellers.
        Matt
        04 Discovery II
        04 Volvo XC70

Comment

• bkreutz
          4th Gear
          • Apr 2010

I like the Geolanders a lot, (the AT's) This is the second set I've gotten (two different vehicles), so I guess that says it all.
          Gale Breitkreutz
          '03 Disco
          '47 CJ2A

Comment

• ccairoli
            Low Range
            • Sep 2012

Hi,
            I'm guessing you meant 265/55-18. I am too in the middle of figuring out tire size, because nobody make winter tires in the 255/65-16 as the OE. I found this little tool helpful comparing quickly different tire sizes: http://www.powerdog.com/tiresize.cgi . Won't help much with clearance issue though.
            2004 Discovery S
            2011 VW Jetta SportWagen TDI

Comment

• bkreutz
              4th Gear
              • Apr 2010

Originally posted by ccairoli
              Hi,
              I'm guessing you meant 265/55-18. I am too in the middle of figuring out tire size, because nobody make winter tires in the 255/65-16 as the OE. I found this little tool helpful comparing quickly different tire sizes: http://www.powerdog.com/tiresize.cgi . Won't help much with clearance issue though.
              Not sure who you're responding to with that statement (that's why the "reply with quote" option is handy. But if it's me, I did mean 265/60-18, that's what is on mine at the moment.
              Gale Breitkreutz
              '03 Disco
              '47 CJ2A

Comment

• ccairoli
                Low Range
                • Sep 2012

Sorry it was meant for the OP.

Originally posted by bkreutz
                Not sure who you're responding to with that statement (that's why the "reply with quote" option is handy. But if it's me, I did mean 265/60-18, that's what is on mine at the moment.
                2004 Discovery S
                2011 VW Jetta SportWagen TDI

Comment

• jjd2113
                  Low Range
                  • Jan 2013

I'm running 265/75r16 BFG rugged trail on mine with a stock suspension and the only issue I have is the speedo reads about 3 mph slower than actual speed. Im thinking of trying a wider tire with the same height I have now cause I get a lot of snow here. Any suggestions?

Comment

• ThePhotographer
                    4th Gear
                    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by jjd2113
                    I'm running 265/75r16 BFG rugged trail on mine with a stock suspension and the only issue I have is the speedo reads about 3 mph slower than actual speed. Im thinking of trying a wider tire with the same height I have now cause I get a lot of snow here. Any suggestions?
                    A skinnier tire will do better in snow. You could go with 235 85r16.
                    Zack Griswold
                    Photos/Sales

Comment

• jjd2113
                      Low Range
                      • Jan 2013

How well would a skinnier tire handle on ice?

Comment

• ThePhotographer
                        4th Gear
                        • Sep 2011

I can't comment on the exact size in relationship to its benefit on ice, but my 265/75r16 set climbed an ice river bed a week or two ago. Wanted to go with 235/85 but couldn't find good snow/ice studdable tires in that size.
                        Zack Griswold
                        Photos/Sales

Comment

• jjd2113
                          Low Range
                          • Jan 2013

Alright cool I'm thinking of getting a set of Goodyear wrangler authority.

Comment

Working...