X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Larry
    Low Range
    • Oct 2008

Startup Noise - DII SE7

I have a strange 'whining' noise upon cold startup. Started a week or so ago and hasn't gone away. Lasts about 1 1/2 - 2 minutes and then goes away. Sound is prominent in passenger compartment - can barely hear it if outside the LR. Can't distringuish its origin with hood up.

I've checked all fluid levels
    It is not based on engine speed - doesn't change pitch with engine revs
    Not dependent on engine idle down upon warm-up - that's acting normal
    Not dependent on transmission position - park, drive, rev, neutral
    Not associated with A/C or fan

When it goes away - it is as if it is winding down - takes only about 3 secs or so to go away.
  • akrockhound
    Low Range
    • Nov 2006

power steering pump

It is likely the power steering pump, especially if your weather has just turned cold. My Disco II ( and my chevy too) do it when the wx starts getting cold. Generally it doesn't happen until the wx is in the sub-20's
    Last edited by akrockhound; 10-13-2008, 01:02 AM. Reason: spelling error
    '00 and '01 Disco II's

Comment

• KeizerRover
      Low Range
      • Feb 2008

Does it sound like a howling monkey? If so, it is probably the Secondary Air Injector pump on its way out. You can take it off the vehicle and spray some WD-40 into it to extend its life a little. The SAI pump typically only runs for the first 90 seconds or so when the engine is cold and then goes away. From your description of the problem, that would be my guess.
      Ken
      2000 Disco II

Comment

• spacemutt
        1st Gear
        • Nov 2008

Air compressor. It's in the box under the...er....passenger seat over here so it must be the drivers seat over there.

Does your back end drop overnight? If so fix it before is burns out the compressor.

Comment

• Hammer38
          Low Range
          • Oct 2007

Originally posted by KeizerRover
          Does it sound like a howling monkey? If so, it is probably the Secondary Air Injector pump on its way out. You can take it off the vehicle and spray some WD-40 into it to extend its life a little. The SAI pump typically only runs for the first 90 seconds or so when the engine is cold and then goes away. From your description of the problem, that would be my guess.
          That sounds about right. Should only happen once a day or else the pump will burn out.

Comment

Working...