X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • printjunky
    3rd Gear
    • Jul 2007

SIII Turn Signal Stalk connection repair

Has anyone ever repaired one of the connections on the SIII turn signal stalk? My blue (high beam) wire was a little taut, and yesterday the connection snapped off right at the rivet.

I think I'll be able to get it, but any tips are welcome.
  • Cutter
    4th Gear
    • Feb 2009

Not really an answer, but I ended up buying a new one to work out a shorting issue. If it is any way helpful ( I don't think it would be) to have one for parts, I have the old one in a box somewhere.

Comment

• printjunky
      3rd Gear
      • Jul 2007

Thanks for the offer Cutter. I have a spare as well, though it has a broken turn signal switcher-offer thingy. New one (non-OEM) can be had for a little over $20, but I don't feel like resnaking/reconnecting the rest of the wires, if I can fix this one connection.

Comment

• Cutter
        4th Gear
        • Feb 2009

$20! I know I spent at least 3 or 4 times that on my replacement, should have shopped around I guess.

Comment

• printjunky
          3rd Gear
          • Jul 2007

That's what I thought, too - about $75! Until today. In deference to our hosts, I'll just say shopping around is always a good idea.

Comment

• Apis Mellifera
            3rd Gear
            • Apr 2008

I've done it on MGs. Try not to overheat the plastic. In application, this switch gets abused with heat anyway. I ended up just buying a new switch when the one on the SIII broke. Side note: as mentioned, it's not expense if you look around. Even shipped from the UK, it was cheaper than the stateside options.

If there's one spot where a relay is needed, it's the High/Low beam switch in British vehicles; especially is upgraded headlamps are fitted.
            © 1974 Apis Mellifera. Few rights preserved.

Comment

• printjunky
              3rd Gear
              • Jul 2007

Apis, as part of reversibly splicing in a mid-90s Caddy fusebox, I put separate relayed and breakered circuits on my hi and lo beams. This is expected to be the last car I ever buy, so I am trying to keep longevity and daily driving in mind. Eventually it will have a galvy frame, (at least) 2 discs, a Roverdrive, Rocky Mountain doortops, etc, etc. The plan is for it to outlive me!

Comment

• s3landy
                Low Range
                • Jun 2008

I remember fixing mine when the wire for the signal broke on one side. I redrilled a hole on the same side as the other signal drilled and pop riveted the wire back on with a wire connector. This way the same wire operated both signals.

Mike

Comment

• disco2hse
                  4th Gear
                  • Jul 2010

Originally posted by printjunky
                  Has anyone ever repaired one of the connections on the SIII turn signal stalk? My blue (high beam) wire was a little taut, and yesterday the connection snapped off right at the rivet.

I think I'll be able to get it, but any tips are welcome.
                  Same thing happened to me. Just solder it back on. But be careful not to melt the surrounding plastic.
                  Alan

109 Stage 1 V8 ex-army FFR
                  2005 Disco 2 HSE

http://www.youtube.com/user/alalit

Comment

Working...