X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cmcgahagin
    Low Range
    • Jul 2012

Series IIA Rebuild

I'm getting ready to finally start my IIA rebuild project from the ground up. I plan on taking plenty of pictures to document how things were connected "before" and bagging/labeling pieces so that I'll have a clue where they might belong during the rebuild. I'm not a serious mechanic but I'm not afraid to tear things apart either. Since it's a project I'm looking at a 2-3 year time frame, my wife says 4.
    The reason for starting this thread. If you had two recommendations to give me, what would they be? Don't worry about hurting my feelings!
    Charles
    '69 Series IIA
  • Mercedesrover
    3rd Gear
    • Oct 2006

Originally posted by cmcgahagin
    If you had two recommendations to give me, what would they be? Don't worry about hurting my feelings!
    1) Sell your Land Rover
    2) Buy a Toyota

You asked.
    www.seriestrek.com

Comment

• cmcgahagin
      Low Range
      • Jul 2012

Sorry, I already have an '10 FJ. The rebuild is still a go.
      :-)
      Charles
      '69 Series IIA

Comment

• Mercedesrover
        3rd Gear
        • Oct 2006

You'll have fun.

Seriously though:

If this is your first Rover, label and catalog everything you take off and don't forget where you put it all.
        You're better of fixing/rebuilding existing parts than buy new. Many new parts are of poor quality.
        Remember it's an old Rover. Don't try to make a Rolls Royce out of it and you won't be disappointed.
        www.seriestrek.com

Comment

• SafeAirOne
          Overdrive
          • Apr 2008

And listen to your wife. She sounds pretty rebuild-timeline savvy, though I usually double the amount of time I initially figure a task should take, just to be safe.
          --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
          (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Comment

• albersj51
            5th Gear
            • May 2010

I'm 19 months into mine and nearing the end (I hope). My advice:

1. As stated, bag and tag everything and put them some place you'll remember.
            2. Take a TON a pictures from several different angles so that you can reference them later to ensure everything is back together correctly.
            3. Any modifications/upgrades should be considered and decided upon before you start. I've gone down several rabbit holes and spent money I didn't need to, because I would think, "while I'm here I might as well...". If you know what you want to do and stick to it, you'll finish faster and less broke (either way, unless your rich, its going to hurt the wallet!).
            4. Things like nuts, bolts, screws, etc. If you can note how many of each you need, you can order them in bulk from places like McMaster-Carr (www.mcmaster.com) for a good price. Going to the hardware store will eat into your budget.
            5. Maybe most important: With few exceptions, you're better off going with the best quality you can afford. Also, avoid thinking, "while not for a Rover, I can make this work and its 1/3rd the price!". In the end, it will cost more and take more time unless you're an expert fabricator. An example: The EZ Wiring harness I got, good quality nicely labeled, etc and WAY cheaper than British Wiring. However, after all of the extras I needed to get, the price difference, while still there, is less significant and its taking me significantly longer to complete.

Best of luck!

Comment

• cmcgahagin
              Low Range
              • Jul 2012

No, she's just more negative. I'm going to work it in sections and try to keep forward momentum and most importantly try and keep it fun, though I'm sure there will be times that it will be hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel.
              Charles
              '69 Series IIA

Comment

• cmcgahagin
                Low Range
                • Jul 2012

Originally posted by albersj51
                3. Any modifications/upgrades should be considered and decided upon before you start. I've gone down several rabbit holes and spent money I didn't need to, because I would think, "while I'm here I might as well...". If you know what you want to do and stick to it, you'll finish faster and less broke (either way, unless your rich, its going to hurt the wallet!).
                4. Things like nuts, bolts, screws, etc. If you can note how many of each you need, you can order them in bulk from places like McMaster-Carr (www.mcmaster.com) for a good price. Going to the hardware store will eat into your budget.
                5. Maybe most important: With few exceptions, you're better off going with the best quality you can afford. Also, avoid thinking, "while not for a Rover, I can make this work and its 1/3rd the price!". In the end, it will cost more and take more time unless you're an expert fabricator. An example: The EZ Wiring harness I got, good quality nicely labeled, etc and WAY cheaper than British Wiring. However, after all of the extras I needed to get, the price difference, while still there, is less significant and its taking me significantly longer to complete.
                Great ideas! I was considering figuring out which sizes of hardware I was taking off and then buying them in quantity.
                Last edited by cmcgahagin; 07-05-2012, 05:47 PM.
                Charles
                '69 Series IIA

Comment

• TedW
                  5th Gear
                  • Feb 2007

Another helpful hint: Think twice ( maybe three times) before you throw out a part because you think it's too rusty / trashed / etc.

There are many parts I trashed early on and now realize that they were salvageable - and they aren't being made anymore.

Comment

• superstator
                    2nd Gear
                    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by TedW
                    Another helpful hint: Think twice ( maybe three times) before you throw out a part because you think it's too rusty / trashed / etc.

There are many parts I trashed early on and now realize that they were salvageable - and they aren't being made anymore.
                    +1. Made that mistake more than once.
                    '67 109 NADA #413 - rebuilding w/ TDI & galvy chassis.

Comment

• gudjeon
                      5th Gear
                      • Oct 2006

Keep things organized in an ****-retentive Sheldon style. Do not throw out anything until you you are done and satisfied with it. I eventually sold some series 1 stuff back to England and around the world.

Comment

• bfishel60
                        Low Range
                        • Dec 2006

Video the dis-assembly of parts.

Cheap plastic food containers with lids for storing instead of ziplock bags.

Bill Fishel

Comment

• cmcgahagin
                          Low Range
                          • Jul 2012

I appreciate the number of inputs. It appears cardinal rule #1 is: Don't throw anything away!
                          Charles
                          '69 Series IIA

Comment

• Myron
                            Low Range
                            • Dec 2006

I told my wife 2 years, and it took 4. I thought I could get by with my rotten old tub, but once off the truck, it wasn't feasible. Bought a parts car and still needed to have the donor tub substantially re-fabbed with new quarter panels. This is very expensive work if you don't do it yourself. Lesson: budget 3-4 times what you think the worst case scenario is.

Now for the disappointing part of what I have to share. I thought that once I had gone through the Rover for good and for certain, I would have a reliable, leak-free vehicle for at least a little while. Unfortunately this has not been my experience. I'm only 4 years from getting it back on the road and this spring and summer alone I have had three leaking wheel cylinders, perished valve cover gasket, two bad hub seals, etc., etc. Just get used to it, or sell it and buy a Toyota (wait, you already have one - maybe you should have your head examined ;-).

Best of Luck,

Myron

Comment

• cmcgahagin
                              Low Range
                              • Jul 2012

Myron, Thanks for the thoughts to ponder. I hope things improve for you.
                              Charles
                              '69 Series IIA

Comment

Working...