• Show
Clear All
  • kellgallaher
    Low Range
    • Dec 2012

What would you do?

Ok, here's the short of it. I have a 1970 IIA RH drive with a Perkins
    diesel
    . Runs well.. but leaks some. The Rover is in awesome shape and I thought that keeping the original power
    plant
    etc would be
    cool
    for extended weekend photography trips.. etc. HOWEVER.... I am newbie to all this so I am rethinking how slow ( like 45-50 ) the Rover is and sort of smokey too.. so IF I was to upgrade the power plant, gearbox, diffs..etc. what would be a solid set up? Thanks!!!!
  • o2batsea
    Overdrive
    • Oct 2006

200 Tdi, "Stumpy" R380, LT230 1.2, X-Brake, early RRC or D1 diffs, 109 brakes and wheels, 235/85-R16 DuraTracs, parabolics, Bilsteins.
    You'll need to modify the breakfast to accommodate the Disco rad/IC, install new motor mounts, delete the under trans cross-member, new trans mounts, cable operated throttle. There's a little more to it but that's the basics. You can cruise comfortably at 70 with this and not lose very much in your low range.

Comment

• kellgallaher
      Low Range
      • Dec 2012

Thanks for the advice!

Comment

• Jim-ME
        Overdrive
        • Oct 2006

Consider an overdrive.
        Jim

Comment

• stomper
          5th Gear
          • Apr 2007

Since you are looking for suggestions, I'll give you mine. Buy a different truck. Land Rovers are what they are, and there are many other vehicles you could choose if you are looking for something different. An early Ford Bronco, and International Scout, even a CJ jeep. Sinking the kind of money you are suggesting into a Series Land Rover when you are not even sure if it is a series IIa or a Series III doesn't sound like a reasonable investment to me.

I'm not trying to discourage you, but you asked for opinions, so I am just pointing out the elephant in the room that no one is talking about, but everyone sees.
          Bad gas mileage gets you to some of the greatest places on earth.

Comment

• busboy
            2nd Gear
            • Nov 2012

Here is what I did do a couple of years ago. I bought my sons 2006 Jeep TJ Sport from him the plan being to sell my 1971 2a 88 and man was it nice to drive, smooth, fast and comfortable, only draw backs were the rag top took too long to put up and when you hooked a heavy trailer to the front of it, it buried the thing, the coil suspension just couldn't take what the Landrover leaf springs can so the Jeep was gone and I gave my Landrover it's 40th birthday present... a make over. Unless you are going to hook heavy trailers to the front the Jeep TJ is an excellent choice.
            1971 series 2a 88, series 3 trans, Fairey OD, owned since 1978.

Comment

• LaneRover
              Overdrive
              • Oct 2006

He did ask IF he was to upgrade . . .

But I must also agree that before you upgrade and spend a whole lot of cash try an overdrive. Is there someone nearby that has an a Rover with an overdrive you can try to at least see the gearing difference? Conversely you could also try to go with the different diffs but that might hurt low end performance too much.
              1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
              1965 109 SW - nearly running well
              1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
              1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2

Comment

• busboy
                2nd Gear
                • Nov 2012

I can tell you about the Fairey overdrive I installed about 30 years ago. Simple to install but you must keep an eye on the oil level as it doesn't hold much. They say that it splits the gears but I only use mine after fourth gear when I'm up to speed 50 plus mph, wound right out it will do 70-75mph on a good day but a slight incline and you are changing out of overdrive as the gas engine doesn't have the power. Around town if I leave it engaged I find the pickup from a standing start is too slow and going round a corner in second with it engaged has the engine rpm too low.
                1971 series 2a 88, series 3 trans, Fairey OD, owned since 1978.

Comment

• I Leak Oil
                  Overdrive
                  • Nov 2006

What do you want out of it? You have to know that before anyone can give you good advice. Besides Stomper's that is...
                  Jason
                  "Clubs are for Chumps" Club president

Comment

• 1971Series88
                    1st Gear
                    • Dec 2011

rocky mountain overdrive....DONE
                    1963 Series IIa 109" 5 door Safari top (SOLD to new home)
                    1971 Series IIa 88" Soft top (SOLD to new home)
                    1995 RRC - LWB
                    2001 Discovery II SE7 (SOLD to new home)

Comment

• kellgallaher
                      Low Range
                      • Dec 2012

Photos

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0011.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	167488Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0551.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	167489 Maybe you can help. I know the grill is a III, the gear box is not synched in R, 1 or 2.. Im pretty sure that was pre Series III. The truck gas no side markers on the fendes. The dash looks like a III, title says IIA 1970... but had not been titles in 15 years. Right hand drive. Engine is Perkins 2.25 I guess I cold have better stated it. " I just want to make this truck so I can travel a few days at a time on back roads and not become a road block to others" Also enjoy a few days out at a time. I live in GA, and lots of mountains in my area. This was my first project and I was really caught off guard on HOW slow that Perkins diesel is.
                      Thanks

Originally posted by stomper
                      Since you are looking for suggestions, I'll give you mine. Buy a different truck. Land Rovers are what they are, and there are many other vehicles you could choose if you are looking for something different. An early Ford Bronco, and International Scout, even a CJ jeep. Sinking the kind of money you are suggesting into a Series Land Rover when you are not even sure if it is a series IIa or a Series III doesn't sound like a reasonable investment to me.

I'm not trying to discourage you, but you asked for opinions, so I am just pointing out the elephant in the room that no one is talking about, but everyone sees.

Comment

• kellgallaher
                        Low Range
                        • Dec 2012

Thanks, what sort of increase in road speed can I expect with the Perkins?

Comment

• I Leak Oil
                          Overdrive
                          • Nov 2006

Are you sure it's a Perkins? If so, do you know what model? Perkins has made lots of different engines.
                          Jason
                          "Clubs are for Chumps" Club president

Comment

• Jim-ME
                            Overdrive
                            • Oct 2006

If you are considering an OD I'd say 10 mph.
                            Jim

Comment

• Revtor
                              2nd Gear
                              • Apr 2012

Think of an OD also in terms of "how much lower RPM will my engine be spinning at cruising speed" A Roamerdrive is what you want.

This is a series rover - unless you seriously upgrade the drivetrain, its not a highway machine!

If I was going to modernize I'd fit a modern gas V6 or a Cummins b3.3turbo, and a 5 speed with ratios to suit. The engine bay isn't that big, and Id try to use an engine of a similar weight to the stocker. V-8's have been done of course but IMO, the trucks don't need that much help.

have fun
                              ~Steve
                              ---- 1969 Bugeye ----
                              ---- 1962 Dormobile ----

Comment

Working...