X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sleam
    1st Gear
    • May 2010

Replacing the engine?

Hello! I'm looking into replacing the engine on my 72 SIII. Why? Given the highways around here and the kind of driving I have to do, going at 50 miles per hour is unsafe. What do you think? Would a different engine help the over all speed? Can I replace the 2.25 with something bigger or would that make everything else need to be changed to? I don't know how this works! My last LR had overdrive, so can that get added to help with the 2.25 petrol engine I have? Any thoughts or clarity would be great - thanks.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02160.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	171464
    I love this landie but don't drive it as much as I'd like because i've had people come and almost rear end me so many times that I'm losing my nerve. I have some savings and good mechanics so I'd love to know what you think is best.

1959 SII sold
    1972 SIII RHD 88" (current project!)
  • antichrist
    2nd Gear
    • Mar 2009

Yeah, the simplest is an overdrive or high ratio transfer case.
    Tom Rowe

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
    in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 reg
    67 NADA x2
    74 Air Portable - The Antichrist (tag 6A666)
    95 D1 - R380
    95 D90 - R380
    97 D1 - ZF

Comment

• Boston
      1st Gear
      • Feb 2010

What he said. For more work try adding a r380 5 speed box

Comment

• greenmeanie
        Overdrive
        • Oct 2006

If you can only get 50mph out of an 88 then something is wrong. Before launching into an engine swap I'd be going over the drivetrain in detail to find the existing problem. It may be a cheap and easy fix and a lot less hassle than an engine conversion.

I used to run 1000 miles a week on the I10 in AZ in a pretty stock '71IIA 88 2.25 and while never capable of breaking the speed limit I could keep up with the big rigs and traffic in the slow lane.

That roof rack will provide significant drag too. If you want to go fast pull it off unless you are actually using it.

Comment

• stomper
          5th Gear
          • Apr 2007

Before I suggest an overdrive vs. a bigger engine, I guess I would want to know what the current limitations are in your truck in your area. Are you driving 50 because of hills, or because the gearing on the flats won't allow the engine to turn the wheels any faster? An overdrive won't do anything to help you go faster on an uphill climb, but a few extra horsepower might.

The other thing to consider, is if you go with a bigger engine, what will you be doing to strengthen the next weakest link in the drivetrain? The tranny is not going to last long if you put too much more horsepower through it, nor will the axles. If you go the engine route, we would need to know what engine you are considering before someone can advise you on whether you are going to need to uprate everything else.
          Bad gas mileage gets you to some of the greatest places on earth.

Comment

• I Leak Oil
            Overdrive
            • Nov 2006

Driving a series on the highway often isn't for everyone. Just some food for thought.
            I have no problem driving mine. I've been to VA, taking I-95 all the way, way up to Maine, I-95, Western NY, I-90. Do I get tailgated, cut off, people don't yield on the on ramps....Yes. But that happens when I drive my 2004 Silverado also. Even when I'm doing 75 there are still arsehats that tailgate.

Mine doesn't do much more than 55 without the OD either so yours may not be so abnormal depending on the lay of the land.
            Jason
            "Clubs are for Chumps" Club president

Comment

• TeriAnn
              Overdrive
              • Nov 2006

Originally posted by sleam
              Hello! I'm looking into replacing the engine on my 72 SIII.
              I love this landie but don't drive it as much as I'd like because i've had people come and almost rear end me so many times that I'm losing my nerve. I have some savings and good mechanics so I'd love to know what you think is best.
              One such close call too many is why my SII now has a Ford 5.0L V8 in it. ... and a NP435 gearbox, and high ratio transfercase, and special prop shafts, and a Salisbury in the rear with ARB and hardened 24 spline rear axles and 24 spline front axles with Trutrac & 4.75:1 R&P gears. What I am saying is that you can not add a whole lot of power without upgrading everything in your drive train. The Rover gearbox is not all that strong but the LR transfercase is strong. The 10 spline axles are consumables. The 4.7:1 R&P gears are not very robust and neither is the stock Rover carrier the gears are mounted on.

You didn't mention if you have any fabrication or welding skills. If you want to stay with petrol and your fabrication skills are basic home mechanic and you have deep pockets your best and easiest bet is a fresh 2.5L petrol engine with a cylinder head from ACR. It will give you a 15-20 HP boost with noticeably more torque over a fresh 8:1 2.25L engine. The 2.5 has a longer crank with really helps with the torque. You might want to switch to hardened 10 spline rear axles from ROAM OFFROAD or put in a 24 spline Truetrac and a 24 spline rear axle upgrade. Add a Roverdrive and you should be doing a 65 MPH speed limit below 5000 feet and off the steep hills with not problem

If you are in the New Mexico highlands you should consider a turbo diesel conversion. Rob Davis is supposed to be offering a Mercedes 617 turbo diesel conversion that I've heard is mostly bolt in. You will want a Roverdrive with that.

If you have good welding & fabrication skills you might consider a 300tdi & short bell housing R380 five speed gearbox. Ashcroft Transmissions can supply you with a short bellhousing R380 and a kit to adapt the box to a Series transfercase. Not cheap but well engineered and a much stronger alternative to the Series gearbox or the LT77 five speed. Of course you will want to strengthen the rear end as well.

Engine upgrades do not come cheap. If you are in mountains at altitude there is not really much you can do with a petrol engine short of lots of cubic inches. I'm at 7000 feet & a fuel injected 5.0L engine climbs mountains smartly, but I remember the days when I could not go as fast as the posted minimum speed limit on some of the Utah mountain roads. Those were the 2.25L 8:1 engine days.

If diesel is OK with you and you drive at altitude, a tdi or 617 Mercedes turbo diesel is probably your best bet. Just more $$$ and more work.

It is kind of like the old racing story. A racer goes to a mechanic and asks how fast can he make an engine go and the mechanic answers how much money do you have.
              -

Teriann Wakeman_________
              Flagstaff, AZ.

1960 Land Rover Dormobile, owned since 1978

My Land Rover web site

Comment

• Revtor
                2nd Gear
                • Apr 2012

Your engine might just be really worn and down on power. Freshening it up, removing that roof rack (air resistance (drag) goes up 2x compared with speed) and adding an overdrive and you'll be cruising on the highway with no problem.

looks like beautiful rovering country you've got over there...

~Steve
                ---- 1969 Bugeye ----
                ---- 1962 Dormobile ----

Comment

• BGreen
                  Low Range
                  • Jan 2013

The 2.25L gas engine was replaced in my 1972 Series III SWB Station Wagon. Entire driveline minus engine came from a Series III 109 Stage 1. Engine is a 155 hp Rover SD-1 3.5L V8. This setup, with a high ratio transfer case, gives me 22-24 mpg and I can easily maintain 75 mph here in Colorado.

Comment

• mearstrae
                    5th Gear
                    • Oct 2011

I have a similar set-up as BGreen. Mine is out of an 80's Range Rover with an LT-95 with high ratio transfer (it's a one piece set-up) and Fairey overdrive. it will go a lot faster than it is safe to go. Works well on interstates and the mileage is better than my wife's Range Rover (mostly since my SIII is lighter). BUT... and here is the rub. Parts are hard to find for the trans and transfer, not to mention the one-off Fairey OD. Engine parts are easy to find, and I have a number of GM parts on it. Some fabrication (and engineering) was needed to bring it all together, as in all engine swaps. It all equates to: 1. What do you really need? 2. How much time do you have? 3. How much money will you spend?

'95 RRC Lwb
                    '76 Series III Hybrid 109
                    '70 Rover 3500S

Comment

• sleam
                      1st Gear
                      • May 2010

Hey, thanks everyone. Yes, I'm up at 7000 ft altitude and some hills and curves on the simple highway to Santa Fe, not even thinking about the Interstate at this point! Since I just want a little more oomph (that's a technical term) I'll get the engine and compression and all of that as soon as I can. Then the overdrive is next and i think that might be enough for what I really need and can afford. Until I'm off camping I could take the roofrack off too. Thanks for all the input. Appreciate it!
                      s

1959 SII sold

Comment

• I Leak Oil
                        Overdrive
                        • Nov 2006

7000 ft eh? Could be as simple as re-jetting your carburator.
                        Jason
                        "Clubs are for Chumps" Club president

Comment

• TeriAnn
                          Overdrive
                          • Nov 2006

Originally posted by sleam
                          Hey, thanks everyone. Yes, I'm up at 7000 ft altitude and some hills and curves on the simple highway to Santa Fe, not even thinking about the Interstate at this point! Since I just want a little more oomph (that's a technical term) I'll get the engine and compression and all of that as soon as I can. Then the overdrive is next and i think that might be enough for what I really need and can afford. Until I'm off camping I could take the roofrack off too. Thanks for all the input. Appreciate it!
                          s
                          You and I are at the same altitude. Other than making sure your carb jet is not overly rich (carry the old one for the times you descend into the low lands) you really need lots of cubic inches or a turbo diesel.

The wrong jetting can really hurt and make sure that when the accelerator pedal is on the floor the carb is fully open.

An overdrive will not help you go faster if your engine can not push fourth well enough to go as fast as you want. But it is good at splitting gear ratios and is perfect for those hills when you can't really push fourth gear and third gear is too low. So it can help you go faster up hill when a ratio between third and fourth is just right.
                          -

Teriann Wakeman_________
                          Flagstaff, AZ.

1960 Land Rover Dormobile, owned since 1978

My Land Rover web site

Comment

• leafsprung
                            Overdrive
                            • Nov 2006

I mostly drive 2.0L land rovers - they do better than 50 - something is up.

Comment

• sleam
                              1st Gear
                              • May 2010

Time for a full tune up then it seems. I took the roof rack off too. Lighter. Maybe it's the three big dogs slowing me down???!!

1959 SII sold

Comment

Working...