X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SalemRover
    3rd Gear
    • Aug 2007

Speakers

Ok so I have Rovers North fancy schmancy door cards installed on the rover. I must say the quality is rather nice and being able to take the door tops off without removing the card is great. The time is approaching where I am going to put speakers in. Crazy right? I was wondering who out there has found a decent pair of marine grade black speakers that fit without looking all riceresque. In my brief foray I came across these, sadly in white. If push comes to shove I can simply paint the cover if a stock black is not an option. It needs to cover the full range as I wont have seperate tweeters, sub, etc.

• busboy
    2nd Gear
    • Nov 2012

They look too deep for the door...unless the door card is raised lots, and I don't think there is room for that either.
    1971 series 2a 88, series 3 trans, Fairey OD, owned since 1978.

Comment

• luckyjoe
      3rd Gear
      • Oct 2006

What about D1 door speakers? Not waterproof, but probably adequate and cheap enough...
      Tom P.
      1965 exMoD 109
      1995 RRC LWB w/EAS

Comment

• Revtor
        2nd Gear
        • Apr 2012

if you end up trying to choose between two, go with the pair with a higher sensitivity rating. They will be louder, which is what you'll need!!

~Steve
        ---- 1969 Bugeye ----
        ---- 1962 Dormobile ----

Comment

• I Leak Oil
          Overdrive
          • Nov 2006

Originally posted by busboy
          They look too deep for the door...unless the door card is raised lots, and I don't think there is room for that either.
          Perhaps I'm just in a bad mood today but without any real info how does this answer his question?
          Jason
          "Clubs are for Chumps" Club president

Comment

• SafeAirOne
            Overdrive
            • Apr 2008

These come in black too:

--Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
            (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Comment

• SafeAirOne
              Overdrive
              • Apr 2008

Oh, Jason...I just realized--If you change the "w" (as in "white") on the end of your Sony speaker model number (Xs-mp1610w) to a "b", you get the black version of the speakers. Just Google that.

In fact, don't bother. Here they are: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-XSMP1610B.../dp/B000H0TT0A

Err...out of stock. Try here: http://store.sony.com/p/XS-MP1610B/e...1610B#features

On an editorial note, did you change your engine or buy lots of soundproofing lately?
              --Mark

Comment

• mearstrae
                5th Gear
                • Oct 2011

I thought all Series Rovers came with a sound system from the factory, under the hood and floor boards. Oh, one you can pick the sounds. Well, tweeters are probably a wash anyway as you'll most likely only hear the base, maybe.

'95 R.R.C. Lwb
                '76 Series III Hybrid 109
                '70 Rover 3500S

Comment

• SalemRover
                  3rd Gear
                  • Aug 2007

I dumped the diesel for a used prius engine, I just drag the battery behind the truck ; P

I cant hear anything over my transfer case whine honestly. I cant wait to sort that out so some other new noise can plague me with its relentess tune of "fix me!". You can sorta hear music, and its something that the kids and wife would like to have. On that note we went out for fried clams and ice cream (not at the same time!). All in the rover, it was awesome.

The depth is aproximately 3" and the diameter is 6.5 (apx. as well). I think 6.5 speakers are going to be out but I will check specs.

Comment

• SafeAirOne
                    Overdrive
                    • Apr 2008

Originally posted by SalemRover
                    The depth is aproximately 3" and the diameter is 6.5 (apx. as well). I think 6.5 speakers are going to be out but I will check specs.
                    Here's the info: http://www.docs.sony.com/release/XS-MP1610W.pdf
                    --Mark

Comment

• Revtor
                      2nd Gear
                      • Apr 2012

Search for "shallow mount" speakers. these will usually be 2" or under in depth.

If what you find doesn't suit your taste in audio fidelity, you could mount normal "deeper" speakers on the outside of the door card on top of some spacer rings.. Made of.. whatever. sanded sealed painted plywood perhaps.

Also, limiting your search to marine speakers probably isn't necessary unless you really think they'll get wet. Does water run through the inside of series doors in the rain?? I'm not sure.

~Steve
                      ---- 1969 Bugeye ----
                      ---- 1962 Dormobile ----

Comment

• SalemRover
                        3rd Gear
                        • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Revtor
                        Does water run through the inside of series doors in the rain??
                        ~Steve
                        Does a bear sh*t in the woods?

There is enough depth and width on the RN cards to accommodate many 6.5 marine speakers. I like to run with the door tops off during the summer, even in the rain. They will need to be rugged as I tried just getting speakers with a polypropylene cone and what I found is that the coil/magnet would eventually get condensation and it would die. I did alot of digging earlier and on boating forums the JL speakers were the the highest rated, however they are 250+ a pair which is way more than I want to spend. The Sony's linked arent a bad choice and the grille is not all "ghetto" for lack of a better word. The choice can get a little muddled when you take your head unit and/or amp into account. Here is a link to a boating thread with a less than pleasant discussion but filled with decent information.

~Jason

Comment

• busboy
                          2nd Gear
                          • Nov 2012

Originally posted by I Leak Oil
                          Perhaps I'm just in a bad mood today but without any real info how does this answer his question?
                          Well.............if you looked at the specs for the speaker you would see that the speaker in question is 3 1/2 inches deep, which is too deep for the landrover door with a flush door card. Pretty simple EH! But not knowing what the door card the OP has is like as I've never seen one, it might protrude out into the cab 2 inches from the door which would of course be silly to reduce the interior size that much but who knows. I have installed more than my fair share of door speakers along the way and know that if the speaker touches the door interior it will rattle. Also it's not the back side of the speaker other than the voice coil to be concerned about in a landrover, it's the front side from hosing down the interior or rain at an angle. I have waterproofed the front side of speakers before using a water proofing spray, but if you are wading even a little the moisture will eventually get the cones and the voice coils, just be prepared to replace them occasionally.

Comment

• I Leak Oil
                            Overdrive
                            • Nov 2006

I believe I saw these on his truck....Like he said....

And as you can see they have a speaker.

Edit: I believe the 3 1/2" dimension you're looking at is the packaging thickness size. I think the speaker depth is 2 1/8".
                            Some specs here.
                            Jason
                            "Clubs are for Chumps" Club president

Comment

• busboy
                              2nd Gear
                              • Nov 2012

Originally posted by I Leak Oil
                              I believe I saw these on his truck....Like he said....

And as you can see they have a speaker.

Edit: I believe the 3 1/2" dimension you're looking at is the packaging thickness size. I think the speaker depth is 2 1/8".
                              Some specs here.
                              http://store.sony.com/p/XS-MP1610B/e...specifications
                              Those are nice door cards...if you like that sort of a thing, you might as well nail a flush mount speaker on there. I can clearly see I'm on the wrong site.. thanks all and goodbye.

Comment

Working...